ECUMaster/VVTi/DBW/6766/ID1300/Forged 3.0/CCW/Mickey Thompson Nonsense

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
I'm finally caving in, I've wanted to do both a DBW throttle and a VVTi setup for a while and my motor just started making some noise after 3 years of abuse so it's time for a refresh and an update.

Backstory: I've had this car for almost 14 years and it's been through some stages. 7M to 1JZ stock twins, 1JZ 6265, 1.5JZ (rods/pistons 3.0 with cams) 6265, and most recently with a 6765. The current block has 3 TX2K events, lots of daily driving, a few other road trips, countless highway pulls, and I think 4 sets of drag radials under its belt, so I'm not too surprised it started knocking. It's extremely faint now, so there shouldn't be much carnage.

Current plan: Rip out the 1.5JZ and inspect, either refresh the current block and sell it to do higher compression pistons, or keep it and put it back in the car.

New parts: CCW/drag wheel setup. 19s and 15s, 295/55/15
LS3 DBW Throttle Body
DBW controller for the EMU standalone
2JZ-GE VVTi Head (undecided on new cams, we'll see)
GTE VVTi cam covers (or custom)
Bosch P65 Motorsports Coils
Switch from dual HKS SSQV to single Tial 50mm

Current pics of the car:

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Nice car, it looks super mean with those big drag tires stuffed under the back. What kind of times were you running with the car?

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
I haven't researched it directly, but eventually would like to switch to a 3.0 block in my car as well so I've semi paid attention.

You may need to use a VVTI block unless you have the hydraulic feed machined in to feed to VVTI, but like I said, I haven't looked into it yet. - you may already have been aware.

Anyway, your car is looking great, keep pushing!

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
akito;2024356 said:
Super clean! Is that a hardtop?
Yes
Silver MK3;2024374 said:
Nice car, it looks super mean with those big drag tires stuffed under the back. What kind of times were you running with the car?
Haven't run it on the new tires, and it hasn't seen a track in quite a while, more of a street bruiser than anything but I'd like to run some times in the near future.
KevinM;2024386 said:
I haven't researched it directly, but eventually would like to switch to a 3.0 block in my car as well so I've semi paid attention.

You may need to use a VVTI block unless you have the hydraulic feed machined in to feed to VVTI, but like I said, I haven't looked into it yet. - you may already have been aware.

Anyway, your car is looking great, keep pushing!

My current block is an IS300 block, so the oil port is there on both motors, I'm just not using it on the current motor. You can also just tap for oil pressure from the union bolt on the oil filter housing, so you don't necessarily need a vvti block.

Here's the head, previous owner of it did a valve job and decked it, I may do a little port work but we'll see. It will get springs, retainers and cams.

Profile shot, I need to order new rear wheels, that'll be a few weeks.

Here's a photo of a cat in a toilet for absolutely no reason.

Doing some bench testing of an IACV. You can see the corvette pedal in the background. I won't need the IACV with the DBW throttle, so that will be going away.

And just because:

Current engine bay pic:

More bench testing, this time with the DBW throttle:

Somewhat unrelated, but tuning one of our piggybacks in a buddy's 2JZ-GE-T Mk3 running on 7M electronics. We deleted the AFM and did some other neat stuff, car runs like a champ after the fact, he'd had constant issues with the AFM.

Last edited:

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Zach;2024392 said:
My current block is an IS300 block, so the oil port is there on both motors, I'm just not using it on the current motor. You can also just tap for oil pressure from the union bolt on the oil filter housing, so you don't necessarily need a vvti block.

Yep, that would solve that! Hadn't thought about getting it from the housing either.

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
lithium14;2024414 said:
I'll be keeping an eye on this. Always interested in modernizing the MK3 even though I refuse to go JZ. LOL
Toyota thought it was a good move to go JZ, that's the only endorsement I need :)

Enraged;2024436 said:
Can you post more info on the DBW throttle setup?

It's an LS3 throttle body from a 2010 corvette with a corvette pedal being controlled by the optional DBW module for the ECUMaster EMU standalone. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask and I can provide any info you need.