ecu help needed

KennyG

Feb 14, 2013
Caldwell, Wv
I have a 89 n/a and I went over a cattle gaurd and my car stalled. I tried starting it with no luck and had to get towed home. When I got home I discovered that I was getting no spark and no injector pulse. I tried to read the codes and no check engine light at all when in the start position (or any other). I checked the grounds and cleaned them. Checked the efi fuses and relays which were all good. So I bought another Ecu and installed it and got my cel back. I started my car up after it set for a weekend and it started, ran rough but ran. I turned off the car went in to change into car clothes and came out and the new to me ecu was doing the same thing as my other one. No spark no pulse no cel. I forgot to mention the all that happens is the engine cranks over and over. Ive checked the timing belt, distrubutor, ignitor, ignition switch, cel bulb. What do I need to do to fix this beast? Not having my car sucks especially when your mother in law has to take you to work lol.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
What kind of damage was done?

Sounds like you have a wiring issue.

Have you checked all the fuses and such to start with?

KennyG

Feb 14, 2013
Caldwell, Wv
The cattle gaurd is just to keep cows from walking down the road but allow cars to drive over without a gate. Its bumpy going over them but doesn't really do anything... until now. I checked the efi relay and all the fuses. Even un related ones. On wiring harness at ecu I get a reading of power on the blue and white, solid white, white and red on the small plug. Which I assume is the ecu power supply.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
ecu power wires are black with red, black with orange, and black with yellow. Those are the main power wires. There b+, M-rel, and BATT. They will be on the ecu connectors and go from the fuse box to the ecu.

Also make sure the grounds on the intake manifold are good and tight.

KennyG

Feb 14, 2013
Caldwell, Wv
Ok I am getting 12 volts on those wires at the ecu connectors. The intake manifold grounds are tight. B + at the diag port is getting 12 volts. And I cant find one up there that is m.
I really do appreciate the help hvyman.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
If you need, I have an '89 NA 5 speed ECU sitting on a shelf. It'd probably cost me $35 to ship, but it's yours for that.

Find and fix your wiring fault, of course. I'd disconnect the ECU, start at TSRM Page FI-30 and work from there. I think that the '89 pin diagram is slightly different, but basically, you're looking for something that's got power it shouldn't, or ground that it shouldn't.

KennyG

Feb 14, 2013
Caldwell, Wv
Ok this is what I came back with
m-rel is 9.5 instead of 10-14
Idl no voltage- change ecu
Vc no voltage- change ecu
Igt no voltage (I cant start it to test)
Vs no voltage (I cant start it to test)

It wasn't on there but I tested the ecu ground (e1) to the body and got 0.01 volts.

Other than that everything tested ok. How do I use a multimeter to test if one of my ground wires for the ecu is broken. I did a continuity test and my meter beeped, is that good?

Last edited: