ebay r154 synchro kit

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Rule of thumb is to use Bearings that say Koyo, SKF, Nachi, or NSK. Issue is a lot of COUNTERFEIT bearings are out there that say these names!

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Zumtizzle;1870691 said:
Rule of thumb is to use Bearings that say Koyo, SKF, Nachi, or NSK. Issue is a lot of COUNTERFEIT bearings are out there that say these names!

yeah they are called timken *laugh*

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking at or not. I used this ebay r154 rebuild kit along with a Spec stage 2+ clutch kit and I've been beating the hell out of it (essentially still learning to drive a stick - driving it like a video game, lots of ill-timed downshifts and hard launches and breaking tires loose in 2nd & 3rd while accelerating) and it's held up perfectly for 800+ miles so far
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-R151...Parts_Accessories&hash=item563a6ff6fd&vxp=mtr

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
If it's that one, do yourself a favor and for about the same price get the kit from driftmotion. It's all brand name parts and I used it to rebuild mine and it was perfect.

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
thanks for the input, i must have missed it when i looked threw his site, looks like all toyota OEM parts.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
I'm running the ACT Xtreme clutch and oversized rear tires to solve my "traction problems" . I replaced the tranny input shaft bearing with toyota dealer OEM and I feel that this is still my weakest link in the drivetrain. Driving for 1 to 2 hours at 85 to 100 mph makes that tranny hot hot hot !

I wouldn't chance such a ebay kit ever. Been burned once shame on them ! Driftmotion has been a reliable seller for me and I would get the kit from them or toyota since its the same trusted vendor.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
MNBmk3T;1870880 said:
Toyota OEM is best man.

So, so true. But this seems very limited to Toyota. I have some Mitsu Evo friends that look at me like I'm insaine over how happy I am when I get OEM Toyota Parts.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
I think it depends on the part just as much as the mindset of the owner. For some people, OEM means its an overpriced 'piece of crap' that should be replaced just for the sake of changing something, and in many cases this can absolutely be proven true. However, not always; for instance, how many Evo guys also swap out the Evo 8 taillights and sometimes even Evo 9s for Evo 7s? Also, the JDM rear diffuser, and adding the vortex generator from the 9s on their cars as well. Unless you prefer something else, there's little reason to go aftermarket in some cases.

However, I can also direct you to an oil forum sticky about the factory OEM filters.

Basically it depends on what part it is, really. There are some places out there that also offer an "ultimate build kit" to fix some of the shortcomings of the R154...wont name any names though... ;)

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Orion ZyGarian;1871380 said:
I think it depends on the part just as much as the mindset of the owner. For some people, OEM means its an overpriced 'piece of crap' that should be replaced just for the sake of changing something, and in many cases this can absolutely be proven true. However, not always; for instance, how many Evo guys also swap out the Evo 8 taillights and sometimes even Evo 9s for Evo 7s? Also, the JDM rear diffuser, and adding the vortex generator from the 9s on their cars as well. Unless you prefer something else, there's little reason to go aftermarket in some cases.

This is true, mindset is a big thing. But for the evo guys I know it extends all the way down to the gaskets and fasteners. Top to bottom. All of them have never ordered a part from Mitisubishi. Never replace, always upgrade, because everything is an upgrade. On our end how many of us have received parts from Jeff Watson or from Champion. A Lot of Toyota's parts are so over-engineered that they will work well past there intended design.

However, I can also direct you to an oil forum sticky about the factory OEM filters.

There are exceptions. And they are growing more frequent. As stated in that thread the original Japanese filters were of good quality. Then in the name of cost cutting we started getting the Korean versions.

Basically it depends on what part it is, really. There are some places out there that also offer an "ultimate build kit" to fix some of the shortcomings of the R154...wont name any names though... ;)

Shortcomings is a bit of a stretch, though I understand what you're saying. The R-154 is bullet proof at the power levels and warranty covered mileage it was designed for, and in most cases much more. In the Evo community though, for example, the factory 6-speed is considered fragile even at factory power levels. There was a 5-speed that was stronger but it wasn't the majority in the USDM. I'm not saying the engineering is better but it doesn't help the perception.

That said it does depend on the part. One time I needed a power steering pulley, and I needed it that day. The only place that had one in stock was the local Toyota dealer. $256 later I wasn't hopping around excited about the great quality of my pressed steel pulley wheel. I was scratching it to make sure it wasn't made of gold underneath.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Bullet proof up to a point. Once you're on a tight grip clutch the shock has to get absorbed somewhere.

Yes always upgrade and marlin has some good upgrades well worth and value adding. With internal tranny parts I have to spend my time I wouldn't use anything but OEM because it has a bullet proof reputation and have someone who knows what they're doing assemble it.

You want bullet proof then OEM or better.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Dirgle;1871385 said:
This is true, mindset is a big thing. But for the evo guys I know it extends all the way down to the gaskets and fasteners. Top to bottom. All of them have never ordered a part from Mitisubishi. Never replace, always upgrade, because everything is an upgrade. On our end how many of us have received parts from Jeff Watson or from Champion. A Lot of Toyota's parts are so over-engineered that they will work well past there intended design.

Who knows, maybe enough OEM Mitsu parts are really that bad. I personally doubt it, and I feel it will eventually bite them in the ass when OEM parts could end up being available more for the MkIII than the Evo since nobody buys them. I'm always happy and surprised to see just what is still made for our cars, and even more so, what is in stock at times!

Dirgle;1871385 said:
There are exceptions. And they are growing more frequent. As stated in that thread the original Japanese filters were of good quality. Then in the name of cost cutting we started getting the Korean versions.
The best answer to this is to "stay frosty." It might not be fun to always have to research every part you buy for your car (for some people), but thanks to the beauty of the internet, you can always check around. Older guys who know dino oils, for instance, are less likely to know how well Group IV oils work and what they are capable of.

Dirgle;1871385 said:
Shortcomings is a bit of a stretch, though I understand what you're saying. The R-154 is bullet proof at the power levels and warranty covered mileage it was designed for, and in most cases much more. In the Evo community though, for example, the factory 6-speed is considered fragile even at factory power levels. There was a 5-speed that was stronger but it wasn't the majority in the USDM. I'm not saying the engineering is better but it doesn't help the perception.
Specifically the thrust washer on the R154, really. I totally agree it is bulletproof though, and I'm fairly certain even the Isuzu NPR diesel trucks used a similar version of them as well. They live(d) on through GM, so that has to say something about it. I have heard the unfortunate news about those transmissions, those considering the abuse that Evo and WRX owners put through their AWD transmissions, I cant say I'm surprised. Still, I'm a very big fan of overbuilding everything you can, and not worrying about it from then on out.

Dirgle;1871385 said:
That said it does depend on the part. One time I needed a power steering pulley, and I needed it that day. The only place that had one in stock was the local Toyota dealer. $256 later I wasn't hopping around excited about the great quality of my pressed steel pulley wheel. I was scratching it to make sure it wasn't made of gold underneath.
Absolutely agree. That's a pretty unfortunate price..I imagine you could have a billet CNC'd part for just as much.

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
Orion ZyGarian;1871961 said:
Absolutely agree. That's a pretty unfortunate price..I imagine you could have a billet CNC'd part for just as much.

I :yelrotflm because driftmotion just released a kit for the power steering alternator and fan/waterpump all billet aluminum for like ~$80 id be scratching for gold also.