Ebay Complete Gasket Set

Boosted516

Supramano
Apr 13, 2008
Long Island, NY
Does anyone have experience with ordering gaskets off of ebay? I found a full set for $70 and was wondering if i could run into any problems with quality or something else.

nightrider760

Sep 25, 2008
escondido , tijuana
he is actually righ anything but the gasket i used a cometic 2mm hdg instead.I actually got a set for like 58 dlls that included some gaskets for the ct26 like the downpipe gasket and the ring that goes into the turbo manifold

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I've used em before and they work fine. The exhaust gasket, headgasket, and oil pan gasket suck, do not use them. Use OEM Exhaust gasket, oem/aftermarket HG, and FIPG for the oil pan.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I bought my $75 or so kit a few years ago. I turned around and sold the head gasket on ebay for $25, and I got $30 for the Viton valve guide seals. Then I used gaskets everywhere I could possibly find a need. I trashed the pan gasket, and still have gaskets left over. My block and head were already assembled when I bought the motor, so I assume the extras would have been used somewhere within the block.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
ForcedTorque;1171784 said:
I bought my $75 or so kit a few years ago. I turned around and sold the head gasket on ebay for $25, and I got $30 for the Viton valve guide seals. Then I used gaskets everywhere I could possibly find a need. I trashed the pan gasket, and still have gaskets left over. My block and head were already assembled when I bought the motor, so I assume the extras would have been used somewhere within the block.

why do you say not to buy it then?

Yes buy the kit. Valve seals, cam seals, front rear main, etc are fine.

Toyota wants $150 i think for the valve seals.

The reason I say not to use the exhaust manifold gasket is cause I've had one blow out on me after ~ 5k miles.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Stock exhaust manifold gasket is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the cheap POS felpro or other cheap gasket.

Not to mention the POS throttle body gasket...

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Stay away from that no name cheap stuff. Pay the difference and do the job right. I've seen those cheap gaskets and even bought a set just for the small gaskets which was a big mistake. I went and bought all of my gaskets from toyota and I have no problems. I only used the exhaust manifold gasket out of the cheap kit and that is all I would use from that.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Dont use the HG.

I blew mine at 5,000 miles with a fresh built 6MGE.

It now has an HKS MHG and ARPs :)

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
I've had both types. The gaskets are about the same. Dealer has the bolt holes completely removed where the ebay one you push them out. Not a big deal cause they're prepunched. Material is satisfactory on both. I'm not any expert and there must be more scientific differences.

The valve cover gaskets - Dealer holds much better
HG - Your car so your call

Doubt ANYONE is gonna rave about how much better the Ebay is than the Dealer.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
I used an ebay set. Not the HG heh. It was good quality as far as i could see. I used everything except the valve seals and throttle body gasket. Didn't need them. The company was Erastic

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Tanya's car is N/A, the headgaskets are craptastic...

Ditto on what I said, those gaskets are still crap, and to add to the list, the EGR cooler gasket (you will hate life when it starts leaking as it's a bitch to get to, and it likes to melt the wiring harness)

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i would say for all you that have stock hg blow at low miles its your fault. not to say the ebay ones are good, but the felpro and stock toyota hg are plenty for a n/a or even a mild turbo motor. i have a felpro hg on my car. works fine. hasn't blown in a couple thousand miles like what i hear from A LOT on this forum. i'm at about 20k. and a mhg on a n/a is a waste of money and time. so if your hearing a mhg is the only way its not true. especially in your case considering your car is just a n/a. buy a felpro hg kit plus some arp bolts/studs make sure your block and deck are flat, torque to arp's spec in 4-5 passes(the golden key to having your hg job last), and it should last you a long time. the secrete hell of that hg kit is the dam egr cooler gasket. DON'T USE IT. only a toyota one there and you'll be good.

oh yeah don't forget a retorque. at 500 then 2500 miles for good measure. hell if your crazy like half the people on here you'll do it every plug change. LOL.