Eagle rod install ?

Cale

Jan 6, 2008
Ängelholm, Sweden
well im about to install rods and pistons but do the rods have to be inserted in a special direction? i cant see anything in the paper that came with them and nothing on the rods either... so it doesnt matter huh??
thanks for help

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
Cale;1001766 said:
well im about to install rods and pistons but do the rods have to be inserted in a special direction? i cant see anything in the paper that came with them and nothing on the rods either... so it doesnt matter huh??
thanks for help

yes they need to go in the right way... they have a oil squirter hole on side of rod ?

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
Cale;1001766 said:
thanks for help

I dont have a ROD in front of me... but you know the tabs on the bearings on old rods... make sure new rods are hung on with the bearing tabs in same place...

Cale

Jan 6, 2008
Ängelholm, Sweden
HommerSimpson;1001786 said:
I dont have a ROD in front of me... but you know the tabs on the bearings on old rods... make sure new rods are hung on with the bearing tabs in same place...

yes that i know=) but the rod looks the same on both sides and theres no oil hole on the big end.. it looks just like i can install them what way i want to... i will check them again and see..

edit: ok i see what you mean now thanks for help!

Last edited:

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
theres no oil hole, but it shouldnt matter how you install the rods, its the pistons you should be concerned about.

Let me know if you find anything about though... cause i have a set of eagles too!

Cale

Jan 6, 2008
Ängelholm, Sweden
The are the same as stock rods. so i installed the pistons on the rods just like its on stock. but im almost sure that it doesnt matter what way you put in the rods as long as you put the piston in the right way as someone said before..
thanks for help

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
the groove/tang in the bearing on a stock rod is supposed to face the intake side of the block...thats what ive read on here...as for the 2 tangs/grooves in the bearing facing each other...cant remeber...gotta look at the tsrm if it even tells you that... i will get back if someone doesnt beat me to it...

Also search it out..it will come up on one of the threads....G/L

Edit...this thread helped me out...hope it helps you

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68131&highlight=rod%2A+bearings

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
ABQMK2;1003001 said:
the groove/tang in the bearing on a stock rod is supposed to face the intake side of the block...thats what ive read on here...as for the 2 tangs/grooves in the bearing facing each other...cant remeber...gotta look at the tsrm if it even tells you that... i will get back if someone doesnt beat me to it...

Also search it out..it will come up on one of the threads....G/L

Edit...this thread helped me out...hope it helps you

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68131&highlight=rod*+bearings

99.9999999999999999999999999% of rods i have seen ...the bearing tabs are on same side of rod......

Cale

Jan 6, 2008
Ängelholm, Sweden
yepp youre both right! the bearing grooves are on the same side and also they are facing the intake side!
at least i hope it should be this way cause now the engine is reaady to drop ito the car :naughty:

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
The bearing notches on the rod per the diagram in my 1987 TRSM page EM-80 show them oppisite of each other. Also page EM-94 has a diagram of the connecting rod bearings with the notches opposite and the upper bearing has the groove.

I think theyre calling the notches the oil grooves, and that theyre supposed to be facing out. per page EM-94.

Cale please review the TRSM and check everything before you drop it in...You could have a costly mistake.

I have an engine now that im rebuilding that has had many flaws from the original builder...thats why it tanked in 100 miles. G/L

Jake

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
im rebuilding my motor after i screwed up and hung #3 rod on wrong..please make sure you got them in right please.. hate to see you have to go threw what i am after a stupid mistake on my part thats now gona cost me another grand...

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
only time will tell... good job rebuilding your own motor though. I dont see why people are so scared... you should also keep this updated with time, as you break the engine in and what not.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
ABQMK2;1004722 said:
Im sure you know this by now hommer but for anyone else the rod has a notch on it that goes to the front.

Pics im mid rebuild.....

dont remember seeing any notches that were only on one side of the rod for locating direction.

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
nosechunks;1005011 said:
Pics im mid rebuild.....

dont remember seeing any notches that were only on one side of the rod for locating direction.

sorry, I may have described it wrong...not sure what word to use for it...its in the casting and its a bump,nub,thing on the rod towards the bottom near the the bearing...you will see it on one side and the otherside doesnt have it.

Its shown in the TSRM, also the stock piston has a notch, arrow or whatever it is that indicates the front facing side as well.

Im in the middle of a build right now....I just dropped off the head,cams, block,crank,rods etc etc at the machine shop. I plan on following the TSRM to a T cept' Im using MHG so Im going 90 Ft-lbs there...also im re-using my forged pistons and going by ross specs there.