E85 and CSI question.

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
I have searched a little bit on this with nothing coming up. Who runs stock CSI with E85? Anything recommended to be done before an e85 conversion to the CSI?

Thanks!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Why would you run the csi if your running e85. obviously you would be on a standalone. So just remove it and block it off.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
I am this person ;)

Obviously, we needn't to be standalone to use E85. We need extra fueling (bigger injectors), and a piggyback (or daughter board, or standalone) to fine tune. Best if used with a Ford or GM flexfuel sensor so we can tune accuratly.

I will continue to use CSI. E85 also needs more fuel at cold start.

Moreover, I will modify the system and supply fresh unleaded fuel to the CSI, to help cranking at less than 10°C. CSI is temp and time controlled, I don't remember stock values.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
rpk2012;2020684 said:
Thank you for the responses. The idea of regular unleaded as an aid is a great idea..

A better idea is reverse the ratio to where it needs to be if you are having trouble starting.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Rollus;2020729 said:

Gasoline. 10% alcohol, as opposed to 85%. Higher BTU content. Unless you can rewrite the TCCS program to be like Ford EEC-IV. Which has no CSI, but runs much richer when the IAT and ECT are equal (cold start).

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Sorry I don't get you here.

No matter how you richen the mixture (Piggyback, TCCS with daughter board ho yes, Pi and I are working on flex fuel with TCCS), less than 10°C is less than 10°C.

So you propose to flush the tank when outside temperature is low??

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Rollus;2020827 said:
Sorry I don't get you here.
I was referring to not using E85. The subsidy will end in time then market forces will change the price drastically. For a fuel with lower BTU content.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Ha ok, I get your idea now ;-)

We haven't race fuel here at the pump in France, and E85 is then awesome for us, because we produce 0 liter of oil.

Plus my engine is nearly a TRD Group A , and compression ratio is at 9.5:1 at no boost. I need this fuel

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Rollus;2020967 said:
We haven't race fuel here at the pump in France, and E85 is then awesome for us, because we produce 0 liter of oil.

Alcohol is a class here in NHRA. I get why people want to use it. In the US, they are paying a much lower price at the pump than they would with C16 because the tax payers have to pay a big price of the production. That is the subsidy. Ultimately, you do what you have to do. I simply don't use an aggressive tune because I run 93 (R + M 2).

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Nick M;2020915 said:
I was referring to not using E85. The subsidy will end in time then market forces will change the price drastically. For a fuel with lower BTU content.

So we should all not use E85 just because you happen to think it's a bad idea and it might disappear in a few years? For a fuel with a higher octane rating?

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
SideWinderGX;2021043 said:
So we should all not use E85 just because you happen to think it's a bad idea and it might disappear in a few years? For a fuel with a higher octane rating?

This is what I get, that plus flushing the tank when temperatures are in the cold start problem range.

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
Why would you flush the tank? I had no problem starting my car when it was one low 40s here in Texas.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Rollus;2021052 said:
This is what I get, that plus flushing the tank when temperatures are in the cold start problem range.

We're on the same page then. Nick has this thing where he jumps into random threads, and despite being intelligent and knowledgeable about a wide range of subjects, chooses to use the forum as his soapbox instead of helping.

What exactly are you using for your ECU/daughterboard situation? Are you able to modify the cold start table (or any tables for that matter)?

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
I use a 3p prototype TCCS.
I also run a GM flexfuel sensor read by an Arduino micro controller which give me ethanol content and temperature over a serial port.
Then, I open Pi software, and change the overall injector scaling, implemented by 3p14 it allows to scale according to lex afm vs stock, installed injectors vs stock, and ethanol content versus unleaded.
Some day, this will be automated ;-)

At the moment it's working on the shelf. It will be tested when my mechanic came back from holiday, we failed to set cam timing (i think) before he left, and my car doesn't start and feels like to much air (fresh rebuild)