E39 BMW M5 as Supra Replacement?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I'm debating changing platforms and the E39 M5 has my attention. My Supra needs a lot of aesthetic work (paint/trim and complete interior swap/re-upholster) to get it where I want it so I'm weighing my options if I choose to abandon the MK3 Supra (sad face, i know).

I'm curious on opinions from folks here who have any experience with the E39 M5. I've always lusted after them and now a clean 01-03 can be had for under $20k. Between the value of my MK3 and the money needed to bring it up to new car standards I could just about buy a great condition M5.

Specs for those unfamiliar:
400hp 4.9L V8
370 ft-lbs tq
~4000 lbs
Getrag 6 speed manual (no auto offered)
0-60: <5s
HIDs, ITBs, scavenging oil pumps, oil-coolant heat exchanger, etc..
Standard comforts galore: Leather, memory/heated seats, power everything, parking distance control, alcantara headliner, etc...

72747d1248706159t-fs-2003-m5-sterling-gray-black-m5driverside01.jpg

72748d1248706159t-fs-2003-m5-sterling-gray-black-m5driversiderear01.jpg

72753d1248706159t-fs-2003-m5-sterling-gray-black-m5engine.jpg

Bmw_m5_interior_e39-terabass.jpg

E39M5sportdash.jpg

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I understand how you feel, completely.

I've reached that stage of my life. I graduated from college with an engineering degree, I got a "big boy" job, and I dove head-first into buying and doing a Supra, my highschool dream car, just how I've always wanted one...and now I'm starting to realize that maybe my tastes have changed since then.

I really like my car, and I'm really proud of the work I've done to it, but there are times I wish I had spent that money on something a little different. Lighter, better handling, maybe a transmission that doesn't shift like an ore mine hauler. I'd say you should think long and hard about what *type* of vehicle you're looking for, and that it fits your personality best. I spent all my of college years dreaming of big power, mind-bending highwaypulls, and endless drag races, only to end up buying a $2,500 Honda Del Sol on a whim and getting sunk into autocross. Then followed by a pair of $500 Subarus that got me really interested in casual ice racing, having a great time. A series of cheap cars have helped me discover different types of cars and their personalities, without huge upfront financial investments. I'd make sure you know what type of car you want first, rather than just finding a car that's a fitting replacement for a MKIII (which an M5 certainly is).

Thoughts on M5s? BMWs are fantastic to drive, and E39s handle like a dream. BMW seats, shifter, and steering are all fantastic as well. Expect typical German car problems (which there are plenty of, I'm sure), and the biggest complaint I've heard on M5s is oil consumption, take it for what it is.

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Yeah, you hit a lot of my sentiment on the head. I, too, got my engineering job, started making money and very slowly started upgrading things here and there. I'm now thinking my car should come closer to matching my income, haha.

To date my MK3 has been an awesome car and a great value. I've spent just under $20k on the car in 7 years and put on 70,000 miles driving it along with a couple other Supras as side projects. It's been about as expensive as any regular car, but a HELL of a lot more fun. I turbo'd it, rebuilt a couple motors on it, cleaned it inside and out, made a ridiculously expensive wire harness for it, spent borderline insane hours on LED gauge needles for it and the list goes on and on. For the $$ I still think it's one of the best platforms available if you want to make some serious power without spending a house downpayment. In great shape, a mk3 is also a very luxurious ride, but that's where mine currently falls short. It needs some investment in the finer details like upholstery, trim, weatherseals, sound deadener, windows and paint to be closer to "new". Many people don't mind those details being a little off when they've got the boost to make you smile and forget. I'm growing up I guess and looking for that refinement and I'm not as eager as I once was to tear apart the entire car to get it better than "Toyota new". 18 year old me would be punching me in the balls for saying that...

I'll be doing a few needed projects this spring/summer/fall to tackle the small things, but it'll take some hard thought to figure out if I want to dive any deeper.

Especially when a clean M5 can be had for under $20k :drool:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Maintenance. Whore.

But beautiful and luxurious for sure. Check out Bimmerforums.com for more of a low-down/dirty feel of what they require.

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
I am a BMW tech. Every BMW V8 we have or have made arnt great engines. Yes there good when there running but they are very exspensive. They use a lot of oil. The ITB's are cool but the throttle actuator that they have mounted in the v of the engine like to take a shit. I have changed 2 of them in the past week. Not really the big of a deal to change when you have changed them before. They are good cars and very fun. The engine sound great. If you go this route just be prepared to spend some money to keep her on the road. PPL that but and M cars typically drive the pants off of them and they take a beating. But if you are going to get a BMW the older ones are the way to go.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
shaeff;2042782 said:
Maintenance. Whore.

But beautiful and luxurious for sure. Check out Bimmerforums.com for more of a low-down/dirty feel of what they require.

Tuner.87;2042813 said:
I am a BMW tech. Every BMW V8 we have or have made arnt great engines. Yes there good when there running but they are very exspensive. They use a lot of oil. The ITB's are cool but the throttle actuator that they have mounted in the v of the engine like to take a shit. I have changed 2 of them in the past week. Not really the big of a deal to change when you have changed them before. They are good cars and very fun. The engine sound great. If you go this route just be prepared to spend some money to keep her on the road. PPL that but and M cars typically drive the pants off of them and they take a beating. But if you are going to get a BMW the older ones are the way to go.

Yeah, I've heard the maintenance can be rough. I've alos heard they go through a lot of oil. A liter every few thousand or something. Yikes.

But, I like working on my cars and it'd be a second vehicle behind my reliable Land Cruiser so the M5 wouldn't need to be perfect. So long as it doesn't leave me stranded on a regular basis, haha.

It's really looking like this is a possibility. I'll sit on the thought for a while. I have to tidy up a few things on the Supra before I'd sell it anyway.

Meanwhile if anyone wants to submit interest in it I'll entertain offers...