Dyno tuning video with the GT42

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
These were done yesterday on a friends camera. Things went well for the most part. I had an issue awhile back with an improper calibration that I entered in my AEM. When I got it straightened out I had some fuel laying in the intake that ignited and backfired violently blowing the intake apart. I fixed the area that broke but was alittle leary about the other areas. Well it broke apart after 5 runs just when we were starting to get the a/f's decent and it quit breaking up. This is on conservative timing as I want to get my a/f's good before I fool with the timing and you can hear where the car breaks up do to being rich, I mean in the sub 10's. I will get the intake fixed and be back for some more tuning.

These runs were on the wastegate spring only, no boost controller on and ended up being 16 psi. The car ended up doing 468 rwhp and 410 rwtq at an air fuel ratio that looks like a meth addicts EKG's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B12oNngxlGQ

Sean

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Very good numbers. Since you have a hood like that, it's nice that you can back it up with some real power too............lol

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
Here is the dyno sheet and you can see the work that needs to be done on the a/f's.

Sean

p528507_1.jpg

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
it looks like at that point it only broke up in one spot.
damn shame about the intake. i still think aem needs to add the "danger to manifold" program on there. maybe you could have avoided it.

the car looks good and sounds even better. 16psi is still 13psi away from where that turbo even starts to do something, and then even more room on top of that. cant wait to see it when you get things dialed in.

btw- looks strange seeing a 7m dyno sheet turn past 7k

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
First run it wouldn't even make it past 5100 rpm and it made 299 rwhp/299 rwtq, second run it made to 5300 rpm and it made 354/354. I started with a map that from what I understand is that Jason S. from AEM came up with for a speed density MKIV running 1000 cc injectors and a GT42 turbo and a 5 bar map. I was going off the principal that a 3 liter is a 3 liter to get me started, plus this is what Dave Henry uses on his Supra and his buddies drag Probe with a 2jz-ge in it. I set fuel pressure back to 43 psi base to simulate what a stock Supra would run and found out that Dave had been running 36 psi as a base so this had added to the amount of corrections I have had to make. This is the first AEM I have ever fooled with and it has been an interesting learning curve, but at least it is on my car. My wideband also died so I have had no way to tune until I got to the dyno.
I have not driven the car on the road with the exception of a couple of passes up and down the road in front of the dyno. I planned on driving it around after I got a base tune just running off the wastegate, but the is hard to do with an 18 inch crack in your intake. I will get it fixed and get things straightened out where I can be back on the dyno soon and then the road.

Sean

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
looks realy good .. I was kinda hoping to see the explosion that took out your manifold

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
Tun_x said:
looks realy good .. I was kinda hoping to see the explosion that took out your manifold

Boost pressure killed the manifold this time. In the shop when it backfired happened a month ago. I welded it back together on the car and it broke on the dyno on the opposite side. I should have taken the manifold off the car and welded every seam over and perhaps braced the manifold some more. I got in a hurry. I have talked with another manifold builder and he has said once there is a nitrous backfire or similiar type explosion in the intake that your best chance of not having reoccuring issues is to go over every seam again to deal with any possible internal cracking that you can't get too.

Sean

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
awesome xman! I bearly pulled my friends 18 PSI gt42 7m powered supra in my 1jz @ 20 psi with the k26 twins.

That thing is gonna be a beast... btw, looks like you are going to have to turn up that rev limit... Under 2k of power is a lil annoying!! I'm sure with a little anti lag settings on the AEM and some fooling aroudn you can pull 200-300 RPM back of spool.

can't wait for the final result.