Dyno off a smarthphone

87 supra king

Jul 20, 2008
PA
So my friends smart phone has a accelerometer on it and it calculates the horsepower of a car I think it is decently accurate
it said I have 270 hp to the wheels and 396 lbs of torque
my mods are a rebuilt 7mgte with 20 over pistons an k and n intake a downpipe and hks dagger no cats
Anyone think this could be pretty accurate?
aDynoScreen_20100&#53.png

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Unfortunately, those apps are tremendously unreliable. They are fun little do-dads, but are just not accurate.

Some magazines have tested the free track apps and compared the results to a driftbox, and they were all inaccurate.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I have dynolicious for my iPhone. While it is a fun app, I wouldn't go around telling everyone you have xxx HP based off of it. For me it's fun to play with and it's handy to track what certain mods do to the car without having to dyno after each one. I wouldn't say it's accurate compared to a real dyno, but accurate enough to get a good sense of how much HP increase something does to your car (running it before and after). Just make sure you are consistent with using it (don't let the phone move at all while running).

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I think the 1/4 miles ones are more accurate then the horsepower ones. For instance i ran my car on pocket dyno (Iphone) and it gave me a 12.18@116 but then said 316WHP. I believe at least the MPH because i have ran cars that go in that MPH range and were about even. But the Horsepower seems WAY off.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I use adyno for android and it's consistent. I get 140 whp on my na +/- 5 hp. Im not sure how close that is to the real number but it's consistent for me. It will be fun to see what the turbo swap does.

87 supra king

Jul 20, 2008
PA
I used adyno also I'm not saying that it is going to be perfect but wanted to use it as a reference between a few cars to see who had the most power. Did you get adyno to give you a quarter mile time because I could not figure that out ?

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
Nosechunks;1582361 said:
I think the 1/4 miles ones are more accurate then the horsepower ones. For instance i ran my car on pocket dyno (Iphone) and it gave me a 12.18@116 but then said 316WHP. I believe at least the MPH because i have ran cars that go in that MPH range and were about even. But the Horsepower seems WAY off.
I had the pocket dyno on my iPod Touch and it was wildly inaccurate. It told me my Nissan 200sx had 380hp and runs a 12.xx, while telling me my (old) Supra has 220hp and runs a high 13. The 1/4 time on the Supra may have been close, but everything else was way off. Still fun to toy around with, though. :p

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
87 supra king;1582861 said:
I used adyno also I'm not saying that it is going to be perfect but wanted to use it as a reference between a few cars to see who had the most power. Did you get adyno to give you a quarter mile time because I could not figure that out ?

Nope, no quarter mile times.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well i believe my phone is somewhat accurate. The 12.18 it spit out for my car was virtually verified when i lost by roughly 2 cars to a SRT8 Jeep Cherokee with a supercharger and a mild converter tonight who claims a 11.80 timeslip.

Overall im happy about the experience because as soon as i herd the blower i thought i was going to get destroyed AND it confirmed the estimation of my phone. If my car could launch better it would have been even. He put the two cars from the middle of first to the end of second. After shifted third gear there was no gain or loss.

I would imagine his trap MPH would be in the same 1-2MPH range as mine with a slightly quicker ET from the AWD traction combined with the Supercharged V8 instant low end torque on the launch.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Actually they're pretty damn accurate, but you have to enter accurate info (IIRC they ask for the weight of the car). They also have to be stationary in the car, so like a true mount for them would be ideal...