Dyno: 1JZ Single GT35R and E85 602WHP/550WTQ

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I run 6x Bosch MEC-720 Coils in sequential and have had to over double the Dwell under boost to stop it blowing the spark out around Tq peak.

The Coils are still within their limits and running less dwell off boost means they'll last a bit longer.

Next step up would be a CDI but for a street motor on pump gas I just don't think it's warranted.

2JZ_MA70;1141213 said:
yeah they will run that power if the are new. when they crack and get old its a different story. At $90-150 PER COIL for a new one or $200 + for used junk its just not the best alternative. The coil kit that im working on is ~$300 for the set for brand new coils that are plug and play and proven at 40+ boost.. They use the factory toyota connector and mount on a custom aluminum plate on top of the valvecover. I might have some pictures to post later on. Look at the spark blowout thread on the SF.com.

Im running .20 gap on the plug and still have spark blowout at 30-32psi and cruise sucks.
Sounds very interesting, i might be interested in these. I need some new coils for my Megasquirt build.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
2JZ_MA70;1141213 said:
yeah they will run that power if the are new. when they crack and get old its a different story. At $90-150 PER COIL for a new one or $200 + for used junk its just not the best alternative. The coil kit that im working on is ~$300 for the set for brand new coils that are plug and play and proven at 40+ boost.. They use the factory toyota connector and mount on a custom aluminum plate on top of the valvecover. I might have some pictures to post later on. Look at the spark blowout thread on the SF.com.

Im running .20 gap on the plug and still have spark blowout at 30-32psi and cruise sucks.

Is Tym gonna make you a coil on plug similar to the dsm that he (i believe) invented & buschur promote as his???

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1140980 said:
How much HP is the factory toyota JZ coils good for ? I though the 2JZ guys didnt need to upgrade the coils unless going above 800 is this true? could you give us more information on this?

Well you thought wrong.

Titan Motorsports (along with the rest of the guys) run the stock 2jz-GTE coils through a CDI-8 (or a hearty CDI system from the likes of M&W or Autronic, basically any Aussie CDI system) at about 1500+ hp for the entire race season. No issues.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'd have to say just spring for a new set of Toyota coils. I've made over 830 rwhp on E85 with a semi new set of them, an HKS DLI, stock ignitor and AEM EMS. They will last quite a while and no pioneer arrows in your ass...

Nice numbers BTW.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1145662 said:
We need some action videos please respond:biglaugh:

Are you making your E85 or buying it?
I have been told you could make E85 for around 99¢ a gallon.
2.99 isnt too bad for race fuel :) Its about 3.99 gas equivalent. Instead of like 10 bucks.

If you are good at it and know what you are doing, then it is hella worth it. I might think about it because the closest E85 station is like 1000 miles away in California. :)

PS, there is tons of info online about making your own E85 or E100.

Last edited:

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
No one is saying that the factory coils are crap.. they are great but they also cost a fortune.... If we can get same quality for fraction of the price why not... I did drive the car last night and they seem great. I have to work out some fitment issues, but they are plug and play coils....

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
NIce broad power band, well done.

Gritz;1137696 said:
Like i said on supraforums, why would you want cams with a awesome power curve like this he's making over 500hp from 4800rpm to nearly 8000rpm...wow!!! Even hits over 500wtq at 4600rpm..who says the 1jz is tq less???

The dyno. When people refer to torque, they are usually refering to grunt down low. He, like the others doesn't have it. He does have a great band though. He should be able to run it out 7000-7200 before a shift, and stay on top of the curve. I wouldn't change the cams either.

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
Yeah but power right now is my enermy.. Just got back from the track... =) or =( well any way...

2.3 60' on street tires. Speed dependant boost it traped 131.3 mph in 12.01 sec.... On the other hand I destroyed the trans I was going to try to get in the 11's but ony got 3 runs and could not dial the damn thing.... Damn trans.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
tissimo;1149128 said:
why not? that just doesn't make any sense to not change the cams out. More power is able to be had with bigger cams.

But not more force. A custom grind from Comp Cams or similar would be different.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
2JZ_MA70;1148614 said:
I have come cool vids on my phone just cant figure out how to conver it... and posibly need some one to host it...

If you have a phone with windows on it its simple it saves it as a .3G2 file simply send your video to your email addy then upload the .3g2 attachment to youtube.com since most of these guys convert files to .flv (flash video) otherwise convert it to .avi or .mpg with a video program then ask a mod on here to host your video for you!

You should post it to the supra video section in mkiii general discussion or youtube and link it here to the video we are waiting!

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
I blew up the trans at the track last week so Im geting it rebuild tomorow and going back on tuesday... puting some redline shockproof hevy and drag radials...Man I hope I break in the 10's but I will be happy with low 11's . I still have 4-5 psi to give it so It should be interesting. Im bringing real camera this time.

2JZ_MA70;1151580 said:
I blew up the trans at the track last week so Im geting it rebuild tomorow and going back on tuesday... puting some redline shockproof hevy and drag radials...Man I hope I break in the 10's but I will be happy with low 11's . I still have 4-5 psi to give it so It should be interesting. Im bringing real camera this time.
SWEET!!!
How high are you going to go?

HAHAHA!!!
THat was my 666 post!!! :)
Earlier i was thinking about making a separate post for it, or just waiting and not posting for a few weeks until halloween :) I just forgot :(