Dumping ALOT of white smoke at idle only. HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
supersupramk3;1399218 said:
I agree....I have had this happen before. PS fluid always low with white smoke. I finally took out the whole PS assymbly and problem solved. Although I now have no smoke I also have no PS. :aigo: If anybody know how to resolve this issue (jump in).

Replace the vacuum switch with one from the local Pick n Pull, find one from an old Toyota truck they are easiest to get to, and and install on Supra.

I did this on my Lexus as well and have never had any problems. Total out of pocket expense was less than $5.00

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Another thing you can do is watch the coolant level when you're burping the cooling system. If it gushes out you may be dealing with a BHG/loose studs. Oil doesn't always get milky when a HG blows, they can fail in a bunch of differant ways.

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
KMinAF;1399870 said:
Replace the vacuum switch with one from the local Pick n Pull, find one from an old Toyota truck they are easiest to get to, and and install on Supra.

I did this on my Lexus as well and have never had any problems. Total out of pocket expense was less than $5.00

I apologize to the OP for jackin the thread. Yeah I have gon to Pic n pull and grabbed like 3 of them. I heard they were goin for 175 @ dealer cost (ouch). I heard of people just bypassin this and capping off the two other ends.

SupraDuD3

Banned
Jan 1, 2009
knoxville
That sounds exactly like my problem speedfreak. But kminAF may b rite. My rack is busted and I have 0 PS. So how do I go ab re routing the PS and run without it?

supramn21

May 2, 2010
idaho
Gotta quick question on smoking oil at idle...
First the specs : rebuilt engine - 0.060" bore over, new OS stock pistons, new rings, bearings, crank sent off, block decked, non-shimmed stock oil pump; cyl. head - new 1mm OS valves, mild port/polish, BC springs and Ti retainers, BC 264 cams (valves and buckets shimmed to these cams); DriftMotion 60-1 turbo, intercooler, AFPR, UEGO wideband, AFC Neo, tubular manifold, 3" DP and exhaust, godspeed alum radiator, RC 550 inj, rail juiced to 14v, Walbro, dual elec flexalites...etc...

The problem: after fighting BC cam timing, finally dialed in at -4.5 exh and 0 int (timed into engine with degree wheel) giving me 8 deg. overlap per BC specs...rings seated by previous owner...power band : weird 3500 rpm "dead spot" once cleared, boost came on full about 4200 rpm due to cam setup. Drove the car pretty much every day for almost two months, my friend and I tuned it to around 11.5 AFR's at 12 psi...no more because boost gauge hard line is cracked and bleeds off so we stopped... about a month ago I noticed on probably 5 different occasions that my exhaust was pouring whiteish smoke at idle, always while in traffic, so I could never get out to smell it.

Finally it happened again so I took it to my friends house who knows a grip about these cars, for him to help me out. Its definitely smoking oil, but only at idle, once off idle it goes away. Quick note, with these BC cams setup how I have them, the engine has very shit vacuum at idle, less than 8...off idle it goes up to 10-12...my friend seems to think that its my cams somehow with poor vacuum equals not enought PCV so its pulling oil past the pistons.

Im not running PCV off the valve covers through the intake mani or the turbo, just put two breathers on..they have made a slight mess during the two months I drove the car, and I cleaned it up. This occasion when I brought it by, I shut it off, we popped the hood, and there was oil all the fuck over my valve covers, and down in the cyl head galley. IDK the reason why it suddenly went from minimal to blowing oil everywhere, but its bad.

I called a mutual friend who happens to be a moderator on this website Greg B., and lives locally where I do, and explained everything to him..the car has gotten really hot twice due to my negligence and forgetting to turn on the elec. fans...I noticed both times it got hot, got the fans on and cooled it down almost instantly before shutting it off; also notified him that I fucked up prior to this when I copper coated my 2mm HKS viton headgasket..which after I did this and installed it I read a forum on here about solvents in copper coat that fuck the viton up and BHG results..fuck...Greg knows the deal with my cams and is pretty much at a loss for information since hes never done them and neither has anybody that I have met with MK3's, Greg knows the guy that rebuilt my cyl. head because he built his 7m stroker for him and hes a reputable mechanic in my area.

Greg advised me about p-tex on HG is bad, said I might have torn a valve stem seal and a few other things..I am at a loss ATM. I want to pull the engine, take the cyl head off and take it back to the guy that built it and have him re-shim it for stock cams and put another HG in according to Greg's post using Brake Quiet, and possibly fix stem seals, see if i warped the motherfucker and/or lost a valve guide due to overheating it. Did I mention Greg told me I put a little much torque on my ARP head studs (and no I have not checked the torq since installing the head and putting around 1500-2000 miles on it) but initially I put 115 lb.ft. (I know I know way to much, Greg said 90-100 is all hes run, and hes put the same Greddy HG in four diff motors with no prob, so plz dont lecture me about all the mistakes Ive made, this is my first rodeo with Supras and I did alot of this stuff myself, uneducated at the time but have learned since)

While the engines out, I was going to put a rubber oil pan gasket in, shim the pump, and get rid of the banjo line on the pump in exchange for a braided line with AN fittings (Driftmotion I believe sells it) supposedly less restrictive, which makes perfect sense.

But please, feel free to throw out suggestions...I'd like to have an idea of possible options ie different routes i could try first before hand to see if it solves the smoking problems..I know i need to run another compression test and then a leak-down bfore i rip the motor out to see if its a BHG or a valve, do a retorq also...aside from the obvious - any positive input is much appreciated.

supranasty

Yo Daddy
Apr 12, 2005
jamaica ny
SupraDuD3;1397696 said:
Ok so i am new with supras, and turbo cars for that matter. I just got my car back a month ago after the motor got rebuilt. Its not a stock motor nemore. A few weeks after i got it it started dumping white smoke out the exhaust and it smelt like oil. after a while i would just see less and less smoke. Well i changed the oil over the weekend and low and behold it started gushing out even more smoke! and this all occurs only while the car is at idle. It sounds like its miss firing to i am not sure. i am running .040" je pistons, stock rods, polished crank, clevitte bearings, 3-angle valve job(other then that stock head), all the seals and gaskets have been replaced, hks 1.4 MLS. i am also running a stock turbo. once again i am not familiar with turbo cars so much help would be great. thanks!

check the return lines on the turbo. Make sure no silicone is in the holes clogging things up .

MK3er

Jan 1, 2010
Ohio
All I'm hearing is alot of guessing and not alot of doing. This works both ways you tell us your problem we give you advice you follow advice. If in doubt test Test TEST its the cheapest easiest way to know if its Major or minor and no further diagnosis other than an educated guess can be given until test have been run. Theres alot of liquids in your car and even more places for those liquids to make their way into your engine so run some tests and narrow down your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.