dumb autometer gauge

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I bought this autometer boost gauge new. I installed it myself. It isn't a liquid filled one. It goes from 0-35psi. There is a hole on the back to install the light in. And there is a threaded piece held on with a nut to install the vacuum line. I barely even touched the nut onthe back when I went to tighten on the compression fitting. Ever since then my gauge starts at like 14psi and reads up from there:: angry ::

Afterwards I read the install instructions and they said to not loosen the nut on the back, or the gauge will be damaged. FML. Is there anyway to fix this? Unless I make up a story, I don't think I have a good reason to return this thing. Autometer SUCKS if you can wreck it that easily.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
planemos;1841286 said:
I bought this autometer boost gauge new. I installed it myself. It isn't a liquid filled one. It goes from 0-35psi. There is a hole on the back to install the light in. And there is a threaded piece held on with a nut to install the vacuum line. I barely even touched the nut onthe back when I went to tighten on the compression fitting. Ever since then my gauge starts at like 14psi and reads up from there:: angry ::

Afterwards I read the install instructions and they said to not loosen the nut on the back, or the gauge will be damaged. FML. Is there anyway to fix this? Unless I make up a story, I don't think I have a good reason to return this thing. Autometer SUCKS if you can wreck it that easily.
Breaking shit: Because life's too short to RTFM.
-AM3

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
planemos;1841357 said:
Pretty stupid design if you ask me. They could at least tighten the nut a good amount.

Was it loose when you got it? Meaning like less than finger tight. If so, call them and complain. If it wasnt, you really shouldnt have messed with that nut.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Yah it was very loose. And it isn't vacuum/boost. Just boost from 0-35. And it isn't liquid filled. I got it from a local auto parts store. It was just in a display case in the store. They have another one there now hehehehhhh. Time to go in and complain i thinks.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If you bought it at a retailer, there is a good chance they will take it back or swap out the other one, IF, like 3p points out, it isn't designed to read like that.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
airhead04;1841372 said:
Curious as to why?

Simple, the mechanical gauges require lines to run into the cabin and with those lines can come leaks if you are using a coolant or oil temp gauge. I have never seen one of those gauges leak but I have only seen them on rat rods. I like my electric gauges or AIM and RacePak dashes.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
planemos;1841774 said:
Auto meter sucks

planemos;1841782 said:
Probably much more accurate too. If all it takes is a slight turn of that dumb little nut then there is no telling how accurate it is after installation.
I get that you're upset, but ranting really won't help fix anything about your $25 boost gauge that isn't working, now will it? If something minor like this sets you off, I'd hate to see your posts after you blow up an engine...