Drove the Supra for the first time

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
Quick background

Purchased my 86.5 JDM Supra about 5 months ago with a run bearing, has been fully rebuilt and tonight I finally got to drive it briefly.

Mostly stock, very tidy, only took it to get gas and only noticed a couple of things, they may sort themselves out or it may be something I need to look into more, if anyone can help lemme know.

1) Car died when I came to a final stop (did about 3 - 4 stops before that) started alright again though. This is my main concern, could it be the idle (what are they supposed to idle at? 800rpm?)? Mechanic said it would sometimes idle really low/weird when coming to a stop, but I didn't notice that too much. And he found no errors codes on the ECU btw.

2) Digital speedo is wayyyyyy out, all over the place.

3) Not sure if the (factory, digital) oil pressure guage is working? Showed 1 bar, which would've been about 1 kg/cm (think thats the unit?), is the gauge not working or is my pressure really that low? (highly doubt it though)

4) Auto (I know) shifter was a little out. For eg I put it in D next to the stick and I'd go to take off but it would be in neutral (on the dash as well). My mechanic is going to look at this tomorrow though, he reckons it just needs a little adjustment.

That's all I can really think of, apart from that I loved the 5 minutes I had driving it. Will get it back tomorrow and will get all these issues sorted out (hopefully).

Best 5 minutes of my life :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
--Wolf--;1419348 said:
Quick background

Purchased my 86.5 JDM Supra about 5 months ago with a run bearing, has been fully rebuilt and tonight I finally got to drive it briefly.

Mostly stock, very tidy, only took it to get gas and only noticed a couple of things, they may sort themselves out or it may be something I need to look into more, if anyone can help lemme know.

1) Car died when I came to a final stop (did about 3 - 4 stops before that) started alright again though. This is my main concern, could it be the idle (what are they supposed to idle at? 800rpm?)? Mechanic said it would sometimes idle really low/weird when coming to a stop, but I didn't notice that too much. And he found no errors codes on the ECU btw.

2) Digital speedo is wayyyyyy out, all over the place.

3) Not sure if the (factory, digital) oil pressure guage is working? Showed 1 bar, which would've been about 1 kg/cm (think thats the unit?), is the gauge not working or is my pressure really that low? (highly doubt it though)

4) Auto (I know) shifter was a little out. For eg I put it in D next to the stick and I'd go to take off but it would be in neutral (on the dash as well). My mechanic is going to look at this tomorrow though, he reckons it just needs a little adjustment.

That's all I can really think of, apart from that I loved the 5 minutes I had driving it. Will get it back tomorrow and will get all these issues sorted out (hopefully).

Best 5 minutes of my life :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Mine idles at 750rpm and sometimes drops to 650ish when i slow down suddenly not sure what the problem is but anyway i think stock idle is 750 range could be wrong.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
If the battery has been disconnected for longer than ~1 minute, the ECU will take a few miles to relearn. The idle should smooth out, stalling will virtually vanish, and it will generally behave a fair bit better.

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
UPDATE:

Got it back today. You're right GrimJack, it did sort itself out, hasn't died again since.

Couple of other minor problems I've found though.

Passenger window doesn't go up.

Oil leaking from oil bung.

Digital Dash is really messed up, oil pressure gauge not working, speedo way out, fuel gauge dodgy (told me I was on E after I filled it up for about 5 mins)

Top front radiator hose was all squashed up with no air in it, had water though.

Think I might need to get a bov as I'm getting surge back.

This last one is just a feeling more than anything, but car feels like it has no acceleration until I hit boost, just seems a little slow on takeoff etc. Haven't driven any other Supras before so can't really back this one up.

If anyone has any ideas lemme know but will do my best sorting them out first thing tomorrow.

xms

Jan 25, 2006
tx
Make sure you take all the air pockets out of you cooling system there a procedure for that just use the search function and for the accleration problem make sure its at normal running temp and go to your diagnostic port located by the driver side by the battery and jump a wire from e1-te1 and make sure its at 10 degrees btdc. Sorry I really dont know anything about your digtal dash, hope that helps.

Last edited:

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
--Wolf--;1420088 said:
UPDATE:

Got it back today. You're right GrimJack, it did sort itself out, hasn't died again since.

Couple of other minor problems I've found though.

Passenger window doesn't go up.

Oil leaking from oil bung.

Digital Dash is really messed up, oil pressure gauge not working, speedo way out, fuel gauge dodgy (told me I was on E after I filled it up for about 5 mins)

Top front radiator hose was all squashed up with no air in it, had water though.

Think I might need to get a bov as I'm getting surge back.

This last one is just a feeling more than anything, but car feels like it has no acceleration until I hit boost, just seems a little slow on takeoff etc. Haven't driven any other Supras before so can't really back this one up.

If anyone has any ideas lemme know but will do my best sorting them out first thing tomorrow.

you welcome to try my window switch to see if that is the problem I had to replace mine too for that very reason

make sure the cooling system is properly burped you motor has been apart there will be air pockets

the didgi dash fuel gauges suck!!! they seem to have a mind of there own you can do a temp fix with the sender in you fuel tank (didnt work for me ) remember how many kms you get from xxx amount of petrol buy a working fuel level sender of shell out maybe $250nzd for a new one suze/supragirl did I think

as far as acceleration goes this might sound silly but check how much slack there is in you throttle cable mine felt like it was just not quite trying? hard enuf after my rebuild tightend up the cables and whoopee reved like it should.

btw stock boost ftl :)

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
Got pretty much everything sorted.

Took the radiator cap off a few times and the radiator pipes seem to be fine now.

Got a new washer for the oil pan bung.

Cleaned the contacts under the window switch and that solved it.

Car seems much faster now and haven't found any other problems.

And Scott, am only running 4 psi boost haha, will have to look into getting making some more.