Dropping the rear subframe

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I've been doing some searching but have yet to find exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm about to drop the rear subframe on my 88 and I was looking for helpful hints to make it smarter not harder. If you have done it in the past and have some pointers for me I'd love the input. If there is a DIY floating around that you know of please post the link. I've got a set of RonnieK bushings and a full set of Toyota bushings (not cheap but I want OEM as much as possible) coming so I want to be prepared and not fuck anything up.
Thanks

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
Its pretty straight forward, Texas car shouldn't give you many issues.

I personally had to re-weld the nuts that hold the nose of the diff. Also, may be a good time time add the bolt on 89+ (?) brace/supports (2 pieces)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
just put a jack under the diff and then leave calipers off. remove top 3 bolts for struts and drop whole subframe down as one.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
hvyman;2031335 said:
just put a jack under the diff and then leave calipers off. remove top 3 bolts for struts and drop whole subframe down as one.

That was my initial impression but since this is a Supra, I figured there would be some kind of trick that would throw a wrench into the plan.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Hand de-torque the diffy bolts imo. Only use impact/power tools once its apart and you can clean the threads and lube with anti-seize. Same goes for the subframe hardware. I do live in the land of salt, though...I tend to take things very slowly.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I think I also included some pics/write-up in Ronnie's thread before. LMK if pics don't show up and I'll rehost. Good luck!!

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
DeMoN2318;2031354 said:

I followed this and dropped my subframe over the summer, it's really easy. I did it without taking the 32mm nut and hub apart, just put your jack under the pumpkin, once everything is disconnected, it'll drop by itself, then roll it out with wheels :D. Don't for get the brake lines/calipers and ebrake cables. I sent my car to the jy so i undid the lines at the calipers.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Remove everything as one it's actually super easy but really heavy. I did it in my build thread recently. Take off calipers if your not going to to put brake lines on

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
The metal sleeves are 2-piece, so just cut/break the rubber in between. I tapped a flathead all the way thru the bushing and it loosened enough to tap the whole thing out. If I remember right, there's a lip on the metal so you have to tap them out from the bottom maybe. Been awhile (never mind... found the pics attached). Tap the flathead thru the seam in the metal, to break the rubber. Good luck!

out5.jpg1a.jpgout1.jpgIMG_0017.JPG5.jpg

Last edited:

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
If you have a big enough socket (my dad has a 3/4" drive socket set with sockets bigger than 1") find one the size of the sleeve and smack it with a sledge, it should pop right out.

Satan's right, some of them have a lip and need to be pushed out a certain direction.

My rusty NY subframe had to have the bushings cut out with a reciprocating saw. The used subframe I bought from Ohio didn't need anything, I hit the bushings direcly with a sledge and they popped out in two easy hits. Just depends on how rusty yours is.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Thanks! I figured some cutting would be involved but it's sounding easier after your replies.
I worked on it this afternoon and came upon a snag. Seized eccentric bolts on the lower control arms. Im going to have to do some research on the best way to get the bolts out.