Driveline Vibration

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Car harsh on acceleration or deceleration?

Most people point to the Centre Bearing as the culprit but even a badly worn/floppy one is seldom the cause.

Check that the Rear Bonded tube in a tube hasn't slipped out of phase, just sight along the Uni joints they should all be perfectly in line.
(common failure with these cars)

A good "fix" for this issue is to take the shaft to a DS shop and have them replace the bonded rear section with a tube making the DS a true 2 piece.

dsphase.jpg

(thanks to Gaboon for the pic)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Both ujoints should be centered in the "GREEN" line....the redline is showing how far out of phase the rear bonded tube slipped!

This caused my car to shake really bad at 40+mph....not only that but it wiped out the transmission tail housing bearing "bearing that the outside of the driveshaft yoke slips into behind the oil seal"....this also destroyed my centre support bearing!

This was in an 87 na...but also goes for gte cars as they use the same rear halves...

787m

str8sixer916;1429880 said:
hey guys where do i get a aftermarket 7mge drive shaft at ? thanks

Check your yellow pages for a drivetrain shop or 4wd shop. I had my 2pc shaft turned into a 1pc shaft and balanced for $151 after tax. It's quite a bit lighter and has a much better feel overall. Also one less u-joint and that bs center bearing to worry about

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
787m;1459555 said:
Check your yellow pages for a drivetrain shop or 4wd shop. I had my 2pc shaft turned into a 1pc shaft and balanced for $151 after tax. It's quite a bit lighter and has a much better feel overall. Also one less u-joint and that bs center bearing to worry about

yeee haaa pardner... :nono:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
On paper there are negitives....and for record breaking high speed runs then a single aluminum would be a bad choice...with that said 100's of people here are running them and no reported issues as of yet...including myself

macdaddys

Jul 10, 2009
temecula
I have a vibration problem also, its very very loud at 80mph and is definently coming from the rear. Im wondering weither or not i should buy a new driveshaft from shaftmasters or just replace the bearing if thats even the problem:dunno:

dsm_tuner260

Nov 1, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
i had this problem once right after i did the auto to mt swap i thought it was the carrier bearing for sure i was wrong the ecu i got was bad it was all the same symptoms as a bad driveshaft part but some how turned out to be an ecu. i just had a stroke of genuis to figure that out with out pulling any parts off or looking at any parts. what really told me it wasnt driveshaft related was once i went to go drive it again after it cooled off for couple hours it didnt do it till it warmed up then it did it all over again.

Ernie

Jan 3, 2011
Dandenong
I had a driveline problem with my car a while ago, large bangs from the driveline whenever loading or unloading it turned out mine was the centre bearing. Cost a bit over 200 to fix.

MA70BRAIN

Feb 22, 2011
California
My 87 NA has the same problem. The mount is busted completely and I can't find an aftermarket Center Bearing and the Toyota Dealership wants $320 for it. :3d_frown:

dooms

shadegarage mechanic
Sep 23, 2010
Virginia
same problem here, had a two part shaft in it stock but the center bearing was getting weak so replaced it with a straight steel shaft for added torque now car vibrates very loudly at around 80mph, not bad when cruising at 80 but if you accelerate then it vibrates again. not sure if its the rear bearing, any ideas?

dooms

shadegarage mechanic
Sep 23, 2010
Virginia
checking back in with update on that, turns out my new steel shaft wasnt vibrating even though it feels like it was, it was the tires out of balance! try new alignment and balance the tires, then go for a 85mph run and see the difference