drifting on a fixed rim?

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
im looking into buying these awesome looking rpf1's, but one wheel broke. the owner says it has been fixed and balanced though. is it safe to drift on a fixed wheel? the wheels have also been powdercoated, i know that makes the wheel weaker too :/

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Powder coating makes the wheel weaker? How?

Shouldnt be a problem if it was done properly.

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
"A cure temp of 375 degrees fahrenheit for 30 minutes will overage the alloy and begin the annealing process. This is not recommended by us, HRE, OZ, Champion Motorsports (who forbids powder coat entirely), BBS and most other forged wheel companies. This also includes the 50 or so forged wheel companies worldwide for which we supply the blank forgings."
"Exposing a forged aluminum alloy to 375 degrees for 30 minutes can have a negative effect on the strength of the alloy. It will "over-age" the alloy and begin the annealing process. DO NOT DO IT. You will no longer know how strong your wheels are. Since forged wheels are usually weight optimized for the vehicle, reducing their strength is unwise.Most wheel companies, and Porsche, will void the warranty on the wheels if you refinish them.
As for chroming, don't do that either. The chroming process causes embrittlement of the alloy, weakening it and making it susceptible to damage under high load. "

I read that on another forum lol. dunno if its true, cuz there are so many cars with powder coated rims.

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

but lets not get off topic here, is it ok to drift on a fixed rim?

Last edited:

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Annealing should be done at 775 F for 2 to 3 hours followed by controlled cooling at 50 f per hour down to 500 F, then air cool.

^That is for 6061 aluminum. Now obviously that will be different for wheels, but it should give you an idea on the temp needed to anneal it.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

The aging precipitation heat treatment is done at 350 F for 8 hours followed by air cooling. This produces the T6 temper

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
don't places like memoryfab rebuild rims and make them almost brand new or sm? im not too sure why you put quotes around fixed, do you mean like they dont actually fix them, or fixing in general is sketch?

jd20phill

Jun 2, 2005
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
I've bought plenty of stuff from previous owners that was "fixed", and then broke right after it left their possession. I'm also very particular about things that affect my personal well being in a car, such as wheels, and wouldn't take a chance on a repaired wheel. In short, will it work, probably; would I trust it, no.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Wheels can be fixed, yes. Dunno how much I'd trust one that some says was fixed though. Powdercoating won't do anything to a wheel (if you track the car, the wheel is getting hotter than that from braking alone...)

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
the problem fixed in large part affects the likelihood of the repair holding up...

if it was just rash, or even a minor bend (since it's a cast wheel) getting it fixed isnt really going to compromise the structure. (same can be said to some (albeit lesser) degree for SMALL cracks that have been welded in/filled.)

but if a chunk of rim broke off.....I would obviously avoid.

powdercoating as a process is fine, depending on the cure temps/powders used. don't forget that most major wheel companies DO powdercoat wheels! (INCLUDING HRE!!) but they tend to use somewhat specialized lower-cure powders.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Raced a offroad car in the baja 1000 for years and years on powdercoated rims, and never had issues. But as ive broken rims before and used them again as long as the work is done correctly and professionally i wouldnt be to worried about it, but asking the previous owner who he used to have them fixed, then going down there to see how it was done would be my best bet. That way you know whats been done and how it was done.

roystunna

May 27, 2009
USA
No matter what you do, that fixed rim will always have that weak point and it will eventually fail if you are going to be drifting with it. Its like your subframe, if it cracks and you weld it, its still going to be weak at that point, i for one, would not risk my investment on that.

WillWork4Boost

Mar 10, 2011
Miami, Florida
RPF1 aren't your best bet for drifting period. They're a cast wheel, Enkei is BS that their cast wheels are the best, they still act the same. I've seen RPF1's crack right down the center from running over 2x4's.

I don't think I'd wanna know what could happen if you were to slide into a curb.

enkeia.jpg

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
WillWork4Boost;1690037 said:
RPF1 aren't your best bet for drifting period. They're a cast wheel, Enkei is BS that their cast wheels are the best, they still act the same. I've seen RPF1's crack right down the center from running over 2x4's.

I don't think I'd wanna know what could happen if you were to slide into a curb.

enkeia.jpg

dont a lot of formula d drivers rock rpf1's?
anyways all this contradicting information has convinced me to play it safe and not buy the wheels lol :/

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Actually, that part of the wheel is forged after being cast. Not to mention cast wheels are still used in rally and until recently, even F1.

Cast wheels are FINE. Especially when they use the technology Enkei has.

Running over a 2x4 i would see as abuse, not to mention you didn't say what tire was on it. If it's a lower profile tire than stock, it needs to be running more PSI or you might as well be running around with flat tires.