Drift motion jza70 aem v2 questions.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I am researching my upcoming aem purchase and i am curious about a few things.

Are there any other bennefits to using aem for the 2jzgte over the modified honda aem that driftmotion sells besides the 12 injector function? I understand the 2jz box can run 12 injectors, but he honda box can only do 6?

Are there any other issues with the honda box on a jz series engine outside of the injector dwell setting?

How does the AC control work with the honda aem? I believe i have read the AC is not plug and play with the jza70 drift motion honda aem?

Thanks for the assistance aem users!

Last edited:

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
2jz box vs Honda (1jz) box:

- 12 Peak&Hold Injector drivers vs. 12 saturated drivers (Peak&hold can handle Low-Z injectors, saturated cant run low-Z without resistor pack).
- 6 ignition channels vs 4 ignition channels... but the honda unit can "open up" two extra ignition channels but requires soldering.
- FPC support vs No FPC support. (OEM Fuel Pump Controller in the trunk controlled by PWM signal form oem ECU).
- AC control is the same on both boxes
- There is no such thing as Injector Dwell... but Coil Dwell time is very important. Stock igniter requires about 2,2-2,5ms of dwell from memory.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
Thanks radial. What are the adantages of the 6 ignition chanels and fuel pump control support? And yes i meant coil dwell rather than injector dwell, good catch.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
With only 4 ignition channels you would have to run the 1jz in waste spark, and put the coils in pairs. The mk3 has no fuel pump controller so there's not much loss there, for the MK4 or SC it could be useful.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
Thanks jono

On the dm website it says their modifed box has 6 ignition drivers. Can anyone confirm if this unit is waste spark or sequential ignition?

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
the DM 1jz box is modified by DM to be a full sequential unit for both Fuel and spark.
Especially since the non-VVTI JZ igniters needs 6x ignition signals from the ecu to work on the stock wiring (one signal for each cylinder).

On a OEM 1J harness, the injectors are though wired for semi-sequential (oem 1jz-ecu runs semi sequential).
The DM unit therefore comes with software set up for Semi Sequential (using 3 injector drivers instead of 6).

Semi sequential is ok for a race car, but more difficult to tune in low load areas with BIG (800cc+) injectors. Idle usually becomes quite rough.
For full sequential fuel (using 6 injector drivers), the harness needs a full re-wiring on the fuel side.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
Yes, you need only 3 more wires.
but the DM patch harness needs to be re-pinned to match cylinder firing order, and the 3 extra wires needs to run outside the patch harness directly to the AEM.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Patch hanress could easily have pins added and same with the stock. Or you can put a flying lead on it. It's not hard and wouldn't take long.

Gas mileage will be better with sequential of course but it's not by a huge amount.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
How would you recommend that i tap into the stock harness to run sequential injection? I like the idea of being able to plug into a 2jz ecu and aem with my 1j>2j patch harness with out modifying the aem or 2jz patch harness.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
So if you want it to be full sequential, you dont have to do anything to the DM AEM, just plug and play.
But if you want semi sequential you will have to add three wires from the patch harness to the aem.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
Can you explain how that works? I have swapped injector clips to other injectors and never noticed any difference. Which, to me, suggests the stock non vvti 1jz is batch fired.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
mjsn1;1982839 said:
So if you want it to be full sequential, you dont have to do anything to the DM AEM, just plug and play.
But if you want semi sequential you will have to add three wires from the patch harness to the aem.

1JZ is wired in batch. You might be thinking of 2JZ (2J's are sequential)

As pr wiring: (See lower LH side for injectors)
clipboard02tt.jpg

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
scottiedawg66;1982761 said:
How would you recommend that i tap into the stock harness to run sequential injection? I like the idea of being able to plug into a 2jz ecu and aem with my 1j>2j patch harness with out modifying the aem or 2jz patch harness.

From memory, the injector wires split to pair when the harness leaves the firewall. Thats where you need to add the 3 extra wires to your EMS for full sequential.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes the 1jz is fuel is batch. The ignition is sequential. On 1jz Vvti the ignition is batch as well.

So if your running Vvti and want full seq you will need to run 3 wires for injectors and a few for the coils. Could switch to 1/2jz coils or switch to smart coils. Either will require a few more wires and 1/2jz coils will require there igniter.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
well I had my car on the dyno last week and with the SAFC II and aeromotive AFPR I could get a decent tune on the AFRs, but without the timing control I am afraid to really beat on my car. Eventhough I am right in the middle of building a motor for my mustang I think I am going to pull the trigger on the 1jz PNP AEM. So we will see how PNP it is....luckily the local tuner is super legit.