DRIFT mk3 build!!!

57trimMKIII

Texas Supras' Slowest
Jul 14, 2010
DFW, TX
4g63guy;1929954 said:
oh I got your point pretty clear.just cause it looks like a drift car don't mean its a drift car I know..trust me I know im a have to put a good amount of money into my suspension and steering but the build just started like 5 days after all

Alright, I'm not trying to bust your balls to hard here. All I saw was "lower it, paint it flat black, install a pink cage with a matching harness, add a big FMIC to a bone stock car, and go drifting!" When you hang out with ex Formula D drivers on a weekly basis, it takes a toll on how you see "drift cars."

Simply put, function over form. How your car performs is greater than how your car looks while doing so.

Set the car up to drift, learn how to drift in the process, and then worry about painting things pink. :naughty:

And if you really think that shell is too clean and you don't want to drift it, see if this car is still available:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...eshly-painted-and-caged-88-turbo-targa-roller

4g63guy

Sep 1, 2011
Kansas
thanks for the insight.but i just sold my drift missle shell..but im taking my time to get it to perform and function correctly.ive just got into the game so i got lots to learn

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
imo, the supra makes a better highway warrior then a drift car, you'd be better off taking an awd eclipse and converting it to rwd. or get an old beat up 240sx/rx7 proven and has about 50/50 weight distribution from the start. Not saying you can't, I've seen videos of some crazy mk3s out their now. but it takes alot more money to do it to an mk3 then the regular old run of the mil drift car you see. I'd personally want a porsche 944, you can turbo them and their actually 50/50 exactly.

edit: and thats a clean car, why would you wanna hack it up? =p looks tight with the two tone especially if you get your bronze rims.

4g63guy

Sep 1, 2011
Kansas
ive been in the dsm world for quiet some time so ive swithced to the supras recently to try something new my awd dsm was fast and built but im tired of going straight :)

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
4g63guy;1930361 said:
ive been in the dsm world for quiet some time so ive swithced to the supras recently to try something new my awd dsm was fast and built but im tired of going straight :)

wierd, a dsm is awd should corner better with the right suspension you'd think haha. I got an awd jag for my daily driver and it definately makes a difference. my supras way quicker though but idk about taking a corner as fast I can like with my all wheel drive car.

leezymk3

Sep 1, 2012
nashville
1SLOMK3;1929935 said:
Lowering springs on Stock struts?...... LOL!
For more angle I would look into modified knuckles made by Travis Hill
p1930546_1.jpg

Here is his build thread
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?648351-LOW-Budget-Supra

that nice,he started a tread where he gone show us how to build one,then them none drifter,on supraforum started to bash him for that,i was mad at that,

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
http://youtu.be/E8guF2FcIPg

I have been messing with and drifting my mk3 supra for a while now. I have a build thread on supraforums.com. My name is still planemos on there. I took some good pics of how I modified my steering knuckles for more angle.

So you got rid of that other mk3 shell? I hope you don't need more parts later on.

I've seen a few guys mention that you should rebuild the 7M. DO IT. I didn't and now I am 2JZ swapped because the 7M didn't hold up very long for drifting. Rebuild it or start saving now for a new engine/swap. And getting some new suspension bushings is a good first mod to do I would say. Also replace the spherical bushings in the rear knuckles. That all helps to tighten up the feel of the suspension. You don't have to buy coilovers at first but you will want them. I did my first drift event on cut springs. It was the worst but at least I was out there on the track learning about car control.

4g63guy

Sep 1, 2011
Kansas
car control and having fun learning is what im going for..yea i completly took out all the good parts on my shell i let it go with absolutly nothing usable lol.. front seats were the best thing still left on it..im going 2jz either way if i blow my 7m or not those were already in the planning.just wanna learn in the 7m before i throw more power into it.i hear the more power you get the trickier it gets..this is all in fun cause i refuse to buy a 240 and be JUST like every one else.my 7m has a new headgasket and other gaskets are all new so it hopefully holds up for a few drift days

4g63guy

Sep 1, 2011
Kansas
Beals;1930487 said:
wierd, a dsm is awd should corner better with the right suspension you'd think haha. I got an awd jag for my daily driver and it definately makes a difference. my supras way quicker though but idk about taking a corner as fast I can like with my all wheel drive car.

well when your running a welded diff on an awd it only likes to go straight comfortably lol.wheel hopped going around a slight turn so i wasnt chancing it

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
4g63guy;1930669 said:
well when your running a welded diff on an awd it only likes to go straight comfortably lol.wheel hopped going around a slight turn so i wasnt chancing it

welded def is more for drag racing.. so replacing it would of been a simpler solution wouldn't of it? :icon_roll

4g63guy

Sep 1, 2011
Kansas
its been 28 degrees here in ks and im a car salesman so work long hours.so ill have huge updates with pics soon as possible sorry guys.

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Doat;1929744 said:
doesn't it get positive camber as the car lifts?

Not necessarily, The upper control arm is actually shorter so it limits the positive camber. The amount of positive camber that is generated is actually a benefit as the car corners the outside wheels will create a slight positive camber which generates a larger contact patch for the outside wheels as the weight is lifted off. The double wishbone suspension is a superior setup but it takes up more room which is a luxury in the modern car market.

The nice thing about double wishbone is that the negative camber increases on the wheels that have the most load as the car corners. McPherson struts which are used on most cars today actually increase positive camber if enough load is placed on them. Most high end cars still use McPherson struts for whatever reason, probably because they weigh less and take up less space and not because they perform better.

So, the suspension on the MK3 is actually pretty advanced even compared to todays cars. The age of the components and the weight of the car itself just makes it handle like a pig. That is the exact reason I am refreshing all bushings on my upcoming build.