DRIFT mk3 build!!!

4g63guy

Sep 1, 2011
Kansas
so i figured id start my first build thread of my heavy sloth....i will have pics today

car is an 88 mk3 supra turbo auto bone stock....

parts wish list that will be coming in the next few weeks.

lowtech lowering springs(2inch drop front..1.6 in drop rear)
4 point roll cage(hot pink)
hot pink 5 point harness
front mount intercooler kit
gutted interior
single racing seat
aftermarket steering wheel
5 speed swap (r154)
flat black the entire car

weight reduction will start tommoro

THE BEGGINING:
p1929564_1.jpg

p1929564_2.jpg

p1929564_3.jpg

p1929564_4.jpg

p1929564_5.jpg

UPDATE...my toy just got a twin :D 5 speed targa r154
p1929564_6.jpg

minimal rust
p1929564_7.jpg

motor coming out the auto..ready to go into the 5 speed shell and off to the scrapper the 87 turbo shell goes

p1929564_8.jpg

p1929564_9.jpg

p1929564_10.jpg

p1929564_11.jpg

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
not bad, mk3s are a bit of a sloth for drifting, your gunna need more power then that the stock ct26 is gunna push, even with the weight reduction. I've seen pretty much stock 1jz's do it but their still about 100hp more. But will be interesting seeing a 7m drift car for once only ever see jz series.

4g63guy

Sep 1, 2011
Kansas
yea thats why i figured id fully setup a 7m cause all i see is v8,1j,2j swaps in my area..i will be the only supra at drift events in my city cause every one drives 240s and keep telling me to sell my sloth and by a 240 lol.:)thats what motivated me more

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
oooh a two tone, hope it works out in for updates

i don't know ive seen a guy on here that was drifting a n/a so pretty sure the ct could handle it

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Doat;1929722 said:
I thought Mk3s were mainly bad for drifting and track because of the steering angle

yup, steering/weight distrubtion/suspension.

you prolly put as much into the engine as the suspension but it can be done. and putting in a mustang steering rack would prolly do the trick. Someone on here racing pro went that route. But for drifting it would be the same thing. I hope he gets it to where he wants, originality is what sports need. Sure a 240 is proven to slide but seeing someone do it just as good in a supra, now thats impressive.

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Doat;1929738 said:
I don't understand why toyota gave the suspension the MK3 what it has, I mean it's pretty bad lol

How is the suspension bad?

Beals;1929648 said:
not bad, mk3s are a bit of a sloth for drifting, your gunna need more power then that the stock ct26 is gunna push, even with the weight reduction. I've seen pretty much stock 1jz's do it but their still about 100hp more. But will be interesting seeing a 7m drift car for once only ever see jz series.

25 years in the suspension will do that. You will need to replace all the bushings, install decent sway bars and get a decent coilover set to get that ma70 moving through those bendies.

Regarding the 7M being underpowered...well, thats just wrong. First of all drifting is all about technique. Sure its harder to drift with an underpowered car, but its possible. Also, there are a few simple mods you can do to get the 7M making 300whp easily on the stock ct-26. Of course, a refresh of the motor is going to be nessesary. All new bearings, hoses, seals, cometic head gasket and arp's throughout.

4g63guy;1929661 said:
yea thats why i figured id fully setup a 7m cause all i see is v8,1j,2j swaps in my area..i will be the only supra at drift events in my city cause every one drives 240s and keep telling me to sell my sloth and by a 240 lol.:)thats what motivated me more

Thats awesome, we need more 7M's. Just gotta make sure you go through and refresh that motor properly. Some good mods would be to shim the oil pump relief spring, replace that banjo oil pump line that connects into the block and get new oil squirter bolts. Also, I recommend getting rid of that oil filter mount entirely and screw the filter directly to the block or use a filter relocation kit. Alot of this stuff can be bought on www.driftmotion.com. I recommend them highly.

Those mods will make the 7M happy at high revs all day long :)

drod23

Mar 27, 2011
Santa Paula, California
try putting steering rack spacers and take out the steering stopper bolts thats the easy way to get a bit more angle without spending a bunch of money, and weld the diff stock lsd's dont lock up for shit trust me, do those few things and u will be good to start off, u dont need a shitload of power to able to drift, practice with wat u have then upgrade because then ur car will be to aggressive, drifting is about practicing ur control with the car. thats just my 2 cents i drift my supra and i have a stock 7m-gte and i do ok

drod23

Mar 27, 2011
Santa Paula, California
and also id say save money for coilovers instead of lowering springs, they make a big difference and worth every penny and they are fully adjustable in case u want to lower it even more(or raise) or make them more or less stiff in case u use that car for dd. i have megan coils on my car they were about $650 probably the cheapest known brand coils u can get, ive had them about 2 years no problems ride very smooth just fyi

57trimMKIII

Texas Supras' Slowest
Jul 14, 2010
DFW, TX
4g63guy;1929564 said:
car is an 88 mk3 supra turbo auto bone stock....

parts wish list that will be coming in the next few weeks.

lowtech lowering springs(2inch drop front..1.6 in drop rear)
4 point roll cage(hot pink)
hot pink 5 point harness
front mount intercooler kit
gutted interior
single racing seat
aftermarket steering wheel
5 speed swap (r154)
flat black the entire car

weight reduction will start tommoro

Because as long as it looks like a drift car, it's a drift car... :nono:

4g63guy

Sep 1, 2011
Kansas
ok so the swap is complete..tomorrow I will be buying a new slave cylinder since the one that came on the r154 was shot but what can I expect for only paying 450 for a rust free shell with the r154 still in it :)...ive decided to save for some good coilovers before I take it out for drifting..body is so clean im kinda thinking twice about drifting her..

4g63guy

Sep 1, 2011
Kansas
57trimMKIII;1929748 said:
Because as long as it looks like a drift car, it's a drift car... :nono:
I changed back from most of that cause ive went the route of just getting a 5 speed shell and im not flat blacking this clean two tone lol

57trimMKIII

Texas Supras' Slowest
Jul 14, 2010
DFW, TX
4g63guy;1929947 said:
I changed back from most of that cause ive went the route of just getting a 5 speed shell and im not flat blacking this clean two tone lol

You're missing my point.

4g63guy

Sep 1, 2011
Kansas
oh I got your point pretty clear.just cause it looks like a drift car don't mean its a drift car I know..trust me I know im a have to put a good amount of money into my suspension and steering but the build just started like 5 days after all

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
yeah coilovers are a must for a drift car you need the fresh suspension, you will also need bigger sway bars, end links, new bushings and a modified or new steering rack and you'll be able to do the phenominal stuff your dreaming of lol I guess power is pretty easy to make in a 7m, if you do go the ct-26 upgrade route 550 inejctors and a lexus afm should provide enough power. but having a mediocre turbo and a stand-alone is best imo. I personally upgraded my stock twins to save time and now I'm kicking myself in the ass bc with the shipping I could of got a big single and made an extra 100hp for about 200$ difference.