Dried Laundry Detergent in Seat Cushion

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
This may seem like a 'Here's yer sign' moment, but is it possible to get dried liquid laundry detergent out of the seat cushion foam? I had a bottle of liquid tide in the car sitting on the driver's seat, and somehow the bottle got punctured and the detergent soaked into the seat cushion. Because I had the radiator sitting there too, the cushion has been compressed and the detergent dried like that.

So my main question is, is it possible to get the detergent out of the seat cushion, and if so, will the foam retake it's original shape? Or is it just not worth the time/effort (or not able to be done) and just better tracking down a new seat cushion (possibly even the fabric too, depending on the effects the detergent had on that)?

Thanks,

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Only way is to take the seat out, take the cushion off, and rinse it, wring it out, and repeat till the soap is out. I had to clean melted butter out of the seat foam in our mazda and we had to do this with dish soap to get the butter out. Not fun.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
One of those wet carpet vacuums, may work. Keep soaking the seat with water and sucking the soap out with the vacuum. Till its all out.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Look on the bright side, your car should smell good. Fortunately, you should be able to utilize one of the above suggestions, although it could take a while since laundry detergent tends to make a lot of suds...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
KicknAsphlt;1684099 said:
If it makes any difference, it was laundry soap for 'HE' machines....lol. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I believe that just means that you get more suds, ounce for ounce, versus regular detergent. Let us know how it turns out.