DrDucttape's 1988 MKIII Project

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Hey!
I picked this car up last year off of CL, ended up trading a *good* 2000 Cavalier for it. It came in pieces, head was half pulled off was told the head needed to be replaced. Even came with a replacement head :) I bought the parts and swapped the head out only to find that it had a bad rod brg... So the project started last year, a little larger than originally thought.

I had some machine work done to the block, crank and the head, picked up parts here and there over the last 6 months. Finally started re-assembly 2 weeks ago and so far so good.

I am trying to fight the urge to just throw things together and hope for the best, (hence the nickname "DrDucttape") so I have been taking my time checking clearances, torque values, re-threading, scraping, cleaning etc. where before I left much more for Murphy to work with.

I am currently to the point of installing intake and exhaust manifold, turbo and so-forth.

This is the build so far:

Cometic MHG
ARP Head bolts
Megan Downpipe
Stock ct26
Stock intake/exhaust manifold
Custom intake piping (filter etc)

Still hoping to find before this stage build is complete:

Lexus AFM
AFPR
Good Exh. elbow
Better IC piping
ittybitty Evap.canister

I have some pics floating around from before I got the car and some I snapped with my phone yesterday of the engine. Nothing too special, but I'll try to do better at keeping up with the pics.

Any constructive criticism is appreciated, please remember I am on a limited budget for this build so recommendations need to be affordable :)

Thanks for checking it out!

I'll get some pics up as I can.

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
imag.jpegimag.jpegimag.jpegSome pictures of the car before I swapped for it, and some pictures of progress and current condition of the engine, engine bay, and an ever shrinking pile of parts.

Photo0008_1.jpgPhoto0002_1.jpgPhoto0003_1.jpgPhoto0004_1.jpgPhoto0005_1.jpgPhoto0006_1.jpgPhoto0007_1.jpg

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Interesting paint job. It would look better to me if either the mouldings were painted silver, or(preferably) the dark color came all the way down to the mouldings. Regardless, I do like two-tone.
Two questions- Did you have the machine shop polish the head/ block mating surfaces down to the proper RA value for a metal head gasket? And also, where is the timing cover backplate?

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Thx for the comments!
I like the look of the paint, however..... You need to stand back about 30ft so the quality issues are not obvious. Any closer and the gloppy, drippy, poor quality tractor paint the po used becomes visible.

The back cover for the timing belt, I left off because I liked the look. Suppose there is a chance something could get sucked in there like a finger or a bird...

Yes, mating surfaces were professionally taken care of at the machine shop. Head looked so nice I could have hung it in my office.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
That isn't that uncommon. I would say use it, and only replace it if you find an issue once its running.
The backplate is necessary to determine cam timing.

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
It's ok, I've got another turbo on the way. Seems like the crack is right down the center of the casting and runs almost 2 inches deep into the housing. Since this is common, what happens when they fail, the housing just busts in half?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
supraguy@aol;1857580 said:
That isn't that uncommon. I would say use it, and only replace it if you find an issue once its running.
The backplate is necessary to determine cam timing.

+1

Without the backplate for the timing cover, you're going to have fun getting it spot on without special equipment. My stock exhaust manifold has a crack bigger than that which hasn't leaked yet, hopefully it doesn't start leaking in the near future.

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Its actually on the inside of the turbine housing, I'd rather replace it now than have to tear the thing apart at a later date. Also, I would think that where the crack is would affect the efficiency of the turbine since the gap between wheel and housing would be growing as the crack enlarges over time.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
The efficiency of the turbine is already lacking due to years of use/abuse. I'd get the car started/running problem free before you replace it unless the turbo has a lot of slack on the bearings already.

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
After I do get the car running problem free, I have a second round of improvements planned. Again, please feel free to interject and advise. I try to do research and find the most cost effective/reliable upgrades. I love our classifieds, what a wealth of low-cost goodies :)

Plans for stage 2
T4 (Got it! Turbonetics T58 / P Trim)
550's
Lexus AFM (Got it!)
AFPR
2.5" IC piping
Upgraded FMIC
Walbro FP
Ext. wastegate of some sort (Got it!)
Intake+TB upgrade
Tubular T4 manifold (Got it!)

I'll end up collecting and installing these as I find them and as the $$$ comes available and as I complete the research.

Last edited:

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
DrDucttape;1857713 said:
After I do get the car running problem free, I have a second round of improvements planned. Again, please feel free to interject and advise. I try to do research and find the most cost effective/reliable upgrades. I love our classifieds, what a wealth of low-cost goodies :)

Plans for stage 2
T4 (size?? still doing research)
550's
Lexus AFM
AFPR
2.5" IC piping
Upgraded FMIC
Walbro FP
Ext. wastegate of some sort
Intake+TB upgrade
Tubular T4 manifold (Got it!)

I'll end up collecting and installing these as I find them and as the $$$ comes available and as I complete the research.

First thing I see wrong with that list is no means of tuning. Please please please for the love of whatever religion you are, focus more on the tuning stability of the engine vs performance parts. All of those upgrades would really shine with a EMS.

As far as the size on the t4, it depends on the power you want to make.

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Update:

Picked up a Turbonetics T58 BB Turbo, Lexus AFM, and wastegate this week (for the next stage which is far off). Spending is now cut off for a fair bit :)

Some pictures of the progress, took it off the stand to start installing flywheel, trans and whatever bits are left over without a home.

Photo0024_1.jpgPhoto0017_1.jpgPhoto0018_1.jpgPhoto0019_1.jpgPhoto0020_1.jpgPhoto0021_1.jpgPhoto0022_1.jpgPhoto0023_1.jpg

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Here is the thing.....With all those shiny bits your throwing at it.....If that is a stock ECU....Your not going to get anywhere close to your power goals. Hell I would be surprised if you got anywhere on boost. Maybe a few psi but nothing more. You are going to hit FC so dang fast......
Also if you need 550s we have a set here from my car, along with a ton of HKS electronics which would help you go well past what you are looking for. VPC, EVC, Fcon, Turbo Timer.....