Drawings for flanges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
give me a picture and i'll draw you one up. I'm an ACAD designer for hvac systems but have worked in mech. drawings all through school. If you take the flange, draw it on paper and scan it to scale and send me that picture, i can xref it into autocad and trace it for you. Then i can send you the .dwg file in a zip or however you want it. Then just give that to the cnc guy and he can throw it in master cam or any other cnc machine program and throw a toothpath on it and cut it out for you.

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
JoeC said:
give me a picture and i'll draw you one up. I'm an ACAD designer for hvac systems but have worked in mech. drawings all through school. If you take the flange, draw it on paper and scan it to scale and send me that picture, i can xref it into autocad and trace it for you. Then i can send you the .dwg file in a zip or however you want it. Then just give that to the cnc guy and he can throw it in master cam or any other cnc machine program and throw a toothpath on it and cut it out for you.

If you were going to have them fabbed it would probably be a lot easier to just take a sketch (with accurate dimensions of course) and some plate to a waterjet operator. I think that's how BIC does flanges (sells them separately too). From above, MDC stocks them as well.

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
actually that is wrong. It would not be easier just to take them a sketch with dimensions. They would then have to do exactly what I just said, put it in a CAD program and draw a 10 second tool path for their waterjet. If you went to a cnc shop and gave them a ACAD dwg of the part u wanted and told them it was a flange and "to scale" with a few dimensions so they can double check your scale perhaps, they would probably bump your work ahead of 20 other people because yours will be the easiest to do since there is no drawing involved.

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
JoeC said:
actually that is wrong. It would not be easier just to take them a sketch with dimensions. They would then have to do exactly what I just said, put it in a CAD program and draw a 10 second tool path for their waterjet. If you went to a cnc shop and gave them a ACAD dwg of the part u wanted and told them it was a flange and "to scale" with a few dimensions so they can double check your scale perhaps, they would probably bump your work ahead of 20 other people because yours will be the easiest to do since there is no drawing involved.

What I meant by easier was that you could hand a sketch directly to the operator and they could quickly and easily do the programming right there at the machine instead of handing a sketch to a programmer and then the programmer routing the drawing to the operator. This is based on what I've experienced, as a production planner/controller, at both of our shops that have a 2D waterjet, so YMMV. Either way is pretty simple.

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
I guess its since I work at the other end of the job than you do. I do autocad for a living and have done cnc aswell. I was never able to draw up a part on a cnc machine. I had to draw the part in Acad or solidworks/inventor, insert it into the cnc program (I used mastercam).. then draw my toolpaths, save it to disk, then go to the cnc machine and cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.