door handle LED

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
my door handle lock light ring is now ....well, lighting again. (frankly, i didnt even know the door handle had one) after reading about it via the threads, i decided to fix it....upgrade it. Found a square LED that is similiar to the one that was in the cylinder unit and soldered in a 470 ohm fuse. (credit to supradupra.com). ive never tackled the door handle or any of the components before. already had the door panel removed for other things. maybe took an hour because i chose to clean everything while it was out anyway. BE CAREFUL! all the parts are small and can easily be damaged or lost. ALSO, pull the dome light fuse from the fuse box under the hood till the job is done just to be safe. I also chose to replace the ignition ring LED and a few others in the cabin. procedure is the same. hope someone gets something outta this. good luck!

Attachments

• P7123238copy.JPG
    P7123238copy.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 182
  • P7143263copy.JPG
    P7143263copy.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 162
  • P7243299copy.JPG
    P7243299copy.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 232
  • P7263312copy.JPG
    P7263312copy.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 168
  • P7263313copy.JPG
    P7263313copy.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 175

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
wade3570;1379249 said:
my door handle lock light ring is now ....well, lighting again. (frankly, i didnt even know the door handle had one) after reading about it via the threads, i decided to fix it....upgrade it. Found a square LED that is similiar to the one that was in the cylinder unit and soldered in a 470 ohm fuse. (credit to supradupra.com). ive never tackled the door handle or any of the components before. already had the door panel removed for other things. maybe took an hour because i chose to clean everything while it was out anyway. BE CAREFUL! all the parts are small and can easily be damaged or lost. ALSO, pull the dome light fuse from the fuse box under the hood till the job is done just to be safe. I also chose to replace the ignition ring LED and a few others in the cabin. procedure is the same. hope someone gets something outta this. good luck!
almost forgot ignition ring pic

Attachments

• P7263318copy.JPG
    P7263318copy.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 73

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
wow they really had that. any pics on the difference between having them or not or were they standard?

supraturbotimmy

Dec 19, 2006
uk
i've had my door card off many times and have never seen and power supply going to the lock mech EVER and i've had 3 soops in total, must be a USDM or JDM option, i have put a led strip under the door handle ages ago and that only lights up when i disarm the alarm and open either door

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
sorry. i dont know what models had them or not. as far as pics to what it would be without it....well, if urs doesnt have a light around the keyring when you open the door, thats about all you can tell. lol. seriously, its such a small area, prob not even noticeable. if you look in the first attached pic, you will see the clear ring. al installed, only about an 1/8th of an inch area shows around the ring. i like the led strip under the door idea. i just wanted to make it as close to stock as possible.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
hvyman;1379311 said:
wow they really had that. any pics on the difference between having them or not or were they standard?

Always thought they came standard, both my 89 and 87 came with them. Both light up green like the ignition.

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
Island_Yota;1379946 said:
what the, is there any way to tell from the outside of the car if mine has them? because if it does they definitely aren't working.

Youll be able to see the clear ring of plastic around the keyhole if you had it.

SuperNova

May 29, 2008
Grand Prairie, Texas
Damn, now I gotta add that to my list. I was going to change my ignition ring color, now I gotta do the locks too. Thanks for posting that, I had no idea about the locks.

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
Davismj711;1379908 said:
Subscribed

Wade

Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures. I know one had the parts you used in it, but a parts list with numbers would be nice for those that are vision (or age) imapired ^^

well, it was pretty basic actually. if u are able to click on the attached pic and it gets bigger, u might be able to see the numbers on the packaging. the LED was a square one for the door handle. i think it was a "typical" 20 mA LED. then the ignition ring was also a "typical" white LED. The resistors are 470 ohm 1/4 watt @ 5% tolerance...according to packaging. I dont know squat about electronics and even I was able to do this. just pull the dome light fuse before anything ...or you can just replace it later if u screw up! lol. good lluck!

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
if you wanna see if you have one/works, wait until it gets dark, and lock your car..

pull up the door handle and you should see the LED ring light up, I think every USDM car has them..

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
can anyone explain to me how to replace the light for the key ring?
Please explain in easy to understand directions, I already have the lock out of the car.

Thanks!1

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
remove dome light fuse. its located in the fuse box under the hood. i believe it was the 20 amp fuse. remove the steering column covers-- there are two, both are sandwiched around the column. lots of screws. get on ur back, look up, remove screws. (i removed the under steering wheel panel to help get access to some of the screws and wiring plug.)
Once thats removed, you should see the ignition ring clearly. it's held in place with one set screw, phillips head. I chose to remove the entire wire. to do this, simply twist and pull the light bulb unit from the ring collar. follow the wire back under the dash and unplug so now you have the entire wire. this was easier for me because i had to cut, strip and solder in the LED for the ring side of the wiring. (instead of trying all that under the dash while it was still plugged in) I got a "typical" white LED from radio shack and a 470 ohm resistor from radio shack. cut the wire end where the bulb is, strip the wiring, solder the resistor to one of the legs of the wire, positive or negative, doesnt matter. What does matter is how you solder the LED onto that. positive to positive & negative to negative. I used the original bulb housing to hold the LED, with a little bit od hot glue, install everything. put the fuse back in and open your door, it shoudl come on. doesnt get hot either. it was little more directed light than i wouldve have liked, but it works very well. you could sand the tip of the LED slightly to diffuse the light if u wish.

Also, you could use shrinkwrap to seal everything, but i just used electrical tape. Mainly, you just want to make sure the wiring doesnt touch anything, but thats kinda obvious.

This is how I did it. There may be other methods. It's really not hard, took me an hour because i was being careful. good luck.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I was wasn't clear on my part, I was asking about the removing the L.E.D. on the out side door handle, as I've said I already have the lock out I'd like to get directions on replacing the light for the lock. Not the ignition.

thanks!!!!!!11