don't know which RA to get to make up for the machine work If 2mm MHG is used

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
My Cometic suggested 50RA or better, but I have seen beautiful machine work done (all the way to 15-20) when a friend put a Stopper on his 7M (Mr. Yuk).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Direct from Cometic themselves>>
(Like I said smoother is better but 50 will do the job if that's as good as the machine shop can achieve)

The first thing you must do before installing the gasket, check all associated hardware thoroughly for nicks, scratches, or
damaged threads as well as checking all threaded holes. If the hardware is inadequate or damaged, gasket failure may be eminent.
Also chase all the bolts and tap all threaded holes with the appropriate thread chase or cleaning tap. All hardware and mating surfaces
should be free from any old sealers, rust, or carbon.
Check your dowel pins as they register the gasket and head into proper location. Replace worn or damaged dowels. The gasket mating
surfaces must be smooth 50RA or finer. Additional sealer is not required with Cometic MLS Head Gaskets. The outer layers of the
gasket are coated with a .001" thick coating of viton (a high temperature flouroelastomer).
Check brass rivet location to ensure the brass rivet does not interfere with the sealing surface on both the block and head. If the
brass rivet needs to be removed a pair of side cutters will give the best results. Remove only the brass rivet.
Once the gasket is in position double check all passages and overall fitment paying special attention to the bore and chamfer. The
gasket should not fall in the bore or lay on the chamfer in any area. A gasket lying on the chamfer or in the bore will most likely cause a
hot spot and lead to pre-ignition, possibly causing severe engine damage or gasket failure.