Does your Tranny, Clutch/FW look like this?

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
i have been trying to get this new clutch and flywheel installed and man, its being a huge PITA!! anywho, was wondering if you guys could look at a few pix and help me out....
1st/2nd pix, does everyone's tranny look this dirty inside the bellhousing and on the outside? mine had oil all over it. what do you think caused it if its not normal? BHG? rear main oil seal looked fine.
3rd/4th pix, could you tell me if i have this installed correctly? i installed it like the TSRM online said to, but it just doesnt look right. did i install it backwards? thanks in advance... just really want to get this thing on the road.
EDIT: the clutch fork needs to grab the thinner part by the "XTD" sticker, huh? if thats the case then i think i put it in wrong.

Attachments

• Tranny1.jpg
    Tranny1.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Tranny2.jpg
    Tranny2.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 96
  • XTD1.jpg
    XTD1.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 85
  • XTD2.jpg
    XTD2.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 85

silvergsx623

WIPLSH & HWY KNG
Oct 16, 2005
Alabama
my trans was pretty freekin dirty. mine had gunk all over it. almost as bad as yours. i used about 3 bottles of simple green and a brush... few hours later it looked brand new:)

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
whhoo man that trans looks finger licking good. now, take it from me, cuz i know 3 times over, REPLACE ALL SEALS IN THE TRANS AND THE ENGINE REAR MAIN SEAL AND REPLACE ALL PP BOLTS AND FW BOLTS. i'll be pulling my trans for the third time this summer to fix the trans seals that i didnt replace the first or second time. do it now. the pp looks good to me. you can see where the clutch fork has worn on the release hub, thats where it should contact. heres a pic of my pp:

ok so my pic hosting sit isnt working now, gimmie a bit and i'll have it up.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
It looks ok to me also, I would put some grease on the part that the throw out arm rides on in the 4th picture.

here..

Attachments

• vd1w2d.jpg
    vd1w2d.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 40

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
GrimJack said:
Looks ok to me.

The oil will be from dead valve cover seals, seen this LOTS.
this is what i was thinking... looked to be dripping from the top of the motor when i looked up with FW removed. this should clean up the oil gathering by the spark plugs too. easy fix?
also, thanks for the help... just gonna throw the tranny in there tommorrow and put some miles on her to break her in.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Yup, easy enough fix. You'll need to pull the top of the motor apart, soak up any oil you can, blow the rest out of the spark plug valley with compressed air, pull the plugs, clean everything up and put it all back together with new gaskets and preferably new bolts on the valve covers too.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Yeah, man... My transmission in pictures looked like it was painted black.
In reality, it was heavily coated with sludge. heavily...
It took 6 cans of engine brite, 1 bottle of simple green, 2 parts cleaning brushes, and a lot of hosing off with the garden hose. My dad kept asking me what it was going to sprout, because I was "watering" it so much...

Definetely grease both where the clutch fork rides, and the fork itself. Replace the Rear Main Seal, and replace the Input Shaft Seal.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
GrimJack said:
Oh... I hate to point this out, but my tranny looked easily that bad, and it took me about 2 minutes to clean.

Steam cleaners rock.

so do pressure washers! Mine was just as bad as that and my pressure washer cleaned that up real quick!!!

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
supradreampdr let me know asap how the clutch kit is holdin and does it feel like stock .....i plan to get the clutch and flywheel from them..... i talked to xtd and they said it has 2300pds of clamping load .......i belive the stock one is like 1800 correct me if im wrong guys......

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
wardog said:
supradreampdr let me know asap how the clutch kit is holdin and does it feel like stock .....i plan to get the clutch and flywheel from them..... i talked to xtd and they said it has 2300pds of clamping load .......i belive the stock one is like 1800 correct me if im wrong guys......
i let you know when i get it fully installed. then i have to do the break-in period of at least 500 miles. XTD claims that they can hold 400HP and like 480 ft/lbs....