does anyone make CF doors?

geopomoco

budget 2.9L 7MGTE FTW
Sep 9, 2010
Newport News, VA
i wonder how much from someone that has a big enough mold or whatever to do it with would be willing to do it. maybe retro-spec or someone on here? getting the hood and hatch soon, then i guess i will ask around more. i looked at that rhdjapan and didnt see anything on their site. it would be kool to have a mostly complete interior and be under 3000 pounds lol

geopomoco

budget 2.9L 7MGTE FTW
Sep 9, 2010
Newport News, VA
o ok i totally missed that. thats a little more than i thought it might be but thats not too too bad. looks like there is still a pretty fair amount of structuring even on this door, but im sure it is still way light

geopomoco

budget 2.9L 7MGTE FTW
Sep 9, 2010
Newport News, VA
OneJArpus;1639649 said:
lmao expect to spend 1200 EACH + shipping. Your looking at well over 2500.... just in doors

well on the site it says $ 1,907.96 per door so it would be $3815.92 in doors technically haha

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

barkz;1639666 said:
just gut yours...question, why do you feel the need for these anyway?

the only way i can think to answer that is, why do people feel the need for carbon fiber hoods or trunks or fenders? weight reduction, its cool, and u can show off how much money you spent on body panels lol!! unless you are one of THOSE people that paint carbon fiber of course

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
geopomoco;1639710 said:
well on the site it says $ 1,907.96 per door so it would be $3815.92 in doors technically haha

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

the only way i can think to answer that is, why do people feel the need for carbon fiber hoods or trunks or fenders? weight reduction, its cool, and u can show off how much money you spent on body panels lol!! unless you are one of THOSE people that paint carbon fiber of course

LMAO, hence over 2500! I was mearly guessing at 1200 or so lmao

geopomoco

budget 2.9L 7MGTE FTW
Sep 9, 2010
Newport News, VA
yea but i am finally making money so im trying to have a cool supra FOR ONCE lol. i have had 2 others before this one but i never had money to fix them up.

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
the ONLY way to pull off carbon fiber doors without painting them...is to get CF fenders, bumpers, hood, hatch, roof...i think you get it. would just look tacky to do just doors(let alone the fact your car is white)... from what it sounds like(unless you were kidding) is you just want people to think you have CF stuff, if thats the case get CF tape. but i think if you get the CF panels you have to paint them, or paint the car. just my couple of pennies...

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I like the look of a white car with carbon doors and hood (and possibly even trunk lid), but only on a few cars. s2000 looks great, evo X, and a few others.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
geopomoco;1639710 said:

Actually it say $ 1,907.96 for the set. If you scroll down somebody asks that question and they answer it's for the set(hell, it might be somebody on here that asked that question).

geopomoco;1639710 said:
........ unless you are one of THOSE people that paint carbon fiber of course

Yep, I'm one of those guys.

IJ.;1639769 said:
Ditto I don't get the whole not painting CF parts if the rest of the car is steel....

Agreed.

Another thing to consider is that the OP's car is a targa. Being that the doors are a structural components of the targa equipped bodies it's not recommended that he switch to these doors. The car is already enough of a wet noodle. Assuming he still went ahead and got the doors, he would have to leave the targa top permanently on for fear of folding the car if he went over a bump to aggressively.

geopomoco

budget 2.9L 7MGTE FTW
Sep 9, 2010
Newport News, VA
Dirgle;1639782 said:
Actually it say $ 1,907.96 for the set. If you scroll down somebody asks that question and they answer it's for the set(hell, it might be somebody on here that asked that question).

Yep, I'm one of those guys.

Agreed.

Another thing to consider is that the OP's car is a targa. Being that the doors are a structural components of the targa equipped bodies it's not recommended that he switch to these doors. The car is already enough of a wet noodle. Assuming he still went ahead and got the doors, he would have to leave the targa top permanently on for fear of folding the car if he went over a bump to aggressively.

BAHAHAHA i could se that happening too!! it flexes hardcore already with the roof off haha. but even if they were CF doors, it would be similar to having a CF targa also right? what i mean is, for example, the targa doesnt have to resist twisting, but compression loads. is that right? idk. anyways i know the main thing with a targa is putting a cage in it and that is prob what i would need to do.

but yea im with Backlash2032 on the whole "white car with non-painted CF panels" look. some people like it a lot, others hate it.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
The thing with the doors, and the reason there so heavy is that there is a steel crash bar in there. It's pretty heavy duty, and on the targa bodies they attach a pin to that bar that connects to a slot on the door jamb. This combined with the latch helps resist compression and torsion loads. I guarantee the CF doors don't have anything as rigid in them and as such would make the car even weaker than the other option, a CF targa.

geopomoco

budget 2.9L 7MGTE FTW
Sep 9, 2010
Newport News, VA
*sigh* yea i guess i would just have to get a cage and maybe an x-brace underneath if i did all this. definately getting the hood and trunk and then prob gonna look for targa so then i guess i would look into a cage. was going to drag race it mainly anyways, i have always been about straight line. local mk3 supra people are always talking about hacking all the structuring out of the stock doors except the crash bar, i guess yall have prob heard of that up here too