Does anyone actually run the Suprastick? Manual to Auto questions.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I know that there were prior threads, but I am wondering about currently, who is running one. I am thinking of going to an Aristo auto in my manual 1jz MKIII, but I don't want to go through the trouble of finding an auto harness and ECU. Worse comes to worse, I would run the auto as a clutchless manual, using a button to go into and out of OD. LMK

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
I think a better question would be why run an Aristo auto, when it requires a custom driveshaft, mounts, shifting solution, and speed sensor to fit into a mk3. Not to mention it won't handle as much power as the r154.

Also, if the A341 is like the A340, you won't have 2nd gear without the computer connected. Manual shift configuration is: 1-1st, 2-3rd, Drive-O/D.

If you want an auto there are better options that would save you some of these problems.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Datsrboi;1044262 said:
Easier to drive.... Especially with a lot of power.

And not all people are healthy enough to drive a clutch.

For a good 60', no boost loss between shifts and launching in boost. Cheapest way to drop your 1/4 mile time.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Mike, you'd have to build either automatic that you choose. I've went through three with my car before I went to a manual and now I'm on the second rebuild of Vondas. This last time I went with the Raybestos blue clutches though so hopefully they'll hold. If I was wanting an auto for racing, I'd look into the turbo 400 conversion, or maybe the Raybestos blue kits. I've got a total of $1640.00 in her transmission rebuild including the valve body, but that's using a stock converter. Good luck either way.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
suprahero;1044347 said:
Mike, you'd have to build either automatic that you choose. I've went through three with my car before I went to a manual and now I'm on the second rebuild of Vondas. This last time I went with the Raybestos blue clutches though so hopefully they'll hold. If I was wanting an auto for racing, I'd look into the turbo 400 conversion, or maybe the Raybestos blue kits. I've got a total of $1640.00 in her transmission rebuild including the valve body, but that's using a stock converter. Good luck either way.

The problem is that I do not have enough $$ for a th350 or th400 swap. I would be looking at around 1k for the transmission alone, 800 for the torque converter, 800-1000 for the adaptor plate and flex plate, not to mention the custom DS and the B&M super cooler.

I am looking for a cheaper alternative to a GM swap, and something that will hold ~400 whp.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I know what you mean brother. I haven't worked in over two months. The economy sucks. People are holding on to what money they have and not spending any on house renovations.
The auto may last a little while for you if you install a good tranny cooler, but I wouldn't look for it to last too long if you're racing it and doing burnouts. Good luck.