Does anybody in here have a 2JZ-GTE with the V-160 gearbox?

Turbo Skegget

Jul 27, 2005
Norrtelje
If there is I would greatly appreciate som pics on how they istalled the gearbox. Ive seen one or two pics of it before but no detailed once, so please send me pics to mabire@gmail.com or post them here att supramania.

Kind regards
Mats from Sweden

--:Hopefully Swedens fastest MKIII summer 2006:--

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
It has been done, and it's not terribly complicated - you need a custom driveshaft and a sledgehammer [and a lift to get under the car for a few good smacks]. You do NOT need to widen the transmission tunnel as much as people have thought in the past.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Let's not forget the issue of gearing- the 6spd MKIV rearend is something like 3.27 whereas the MKIII rearend is 3.73 for 89+ turbos which are the lowest ratio. Some say it's no big deal and other's say first gear will be useless. I haven't driven a 6spd MKIII w/ a 3.73 rearend myself (I wish) but it's something to keep in mind. I don't think it'd really be that big of a deal though, as it's only a 14% difference.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
suprarcr89 said:
ok did the research for you...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105024

a guy named stenno in the thread did it and says he did zero tunnel modificatins he just shorten shifter linkage on the v160. plus get custom driveshaft made along with other... well its all in the thread and good luck.
If it's Stenno in Australia things may be a little different for a LHD car as your firewall is a different shape due to the AirCon.

I agree with Mobes gearing will be a real issue as well unless you can find some low G series gears to use.

Turbo Skegget

Jul 27, 2005
Norrtelje
I have "solved" the gearing by installing a 3.56 from Mark Williams. (Al least it better than 3.73.) I have also studied Stennos thread alot and its a source for inspiration. Regarding the "smacking tunnel" bit I am not sure but when I placed the gearbox where its supose to sit I didnt do anything to the tunnel and its a LHD. The special driveshaft issue I think is really easy. Just cut away the original piece that goes into the gearbox and weld on a piece that matches the V-160 boltpattern.

I still would like to get some pics on V-160 in the MKIII. More detailed than Stennos.

Kind regards
Mats