Do you think i need new brakes? :)

Wow, well, for the last 2 weeks, since the weather has been nicer, i have been hearing a slight whining sound that happens when i turn to the right. It sounded like bad rotor being scraped. I took my wheel off and checked it out yesterday. Well, yeah, i think they are shot. :) Here are a few pix. I also spent 2 hours polishing my old rims, well rim. it does look much better now.
I am going to order one of the brake kits off of ebay. My friends have had good luck with them so far.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
crossdrilled rotors suck, and I wouldn't trust my life with something that cheap...

If the rotor is still within spec on thickness, have em turned, replace the pads and hardware, and check the slides.

Get caliper paint and paint the rust if it bothers you (or do what I do and hit it with a wire brush and not worry about it)

Poodles;1306771 said:
crossdrilled rotors suck, and I wouldn't trust my life with something that cheap...

If the rotor is still within spec on thickness, have em turned, replace the pads and hardware, and check the slides.

Get caliper paint and paint the rust if it bothers you (or do what I do and hit it with a wire brush and not worry about it)
Yeah, i wish that someone would offer low cost slotted only brakes, but only the good brake companies offer them :( I would rather not have crossdrilled.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
that company also offers slotted only if thats what youre looking for. look to the right of item description.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Ya justin did swear by those rotors, well he was more than happy with them despite being skeptical at first I should say. How many miles did he really put on his car though. He lived 4 blocks from work

GC89;1306830 said:
Ya justin did swear by those rotors, well he was more than happy with them despite being skeptical at first I should say. How many miles did he really put on his car though. He lived 4 blocks from work
Haha, well, i have owned supras for 7 years now and probably have only put maybe 35k on them. I have owned my newest supra for 2 years and i haven't put 8k on her yet. So miles isn't a big deal for me. Plus anything is better then what i currently have. The thing is, umm, it is 175 shipped for a set of 4 rotors with pads or over 400 for just a set of rotors slotted rotors from a online store. Justin got the ARZ set a while ago, but i definately dont have the 3k for the set. In a few years it will be nice to upgrade to something like that, but stock is fine for now.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Have you looked into the 13" BBK setup that I designed? You can get everything for around $600, and have full 13" front brakes :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
My point is, there is more than likely NOTHING wrong with the rotors besides some surface rust (if they're still within thickness spec). Those cheap rotors will rust as well in short order.

Not to mention decent pads cost as much as that package alone, I WON'T trust my life to cheap brakes...

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Dont go cheap! Your car is heavy, and you need good brakes. If you must have slotted rotors, Rotora makes a set for the mkIII. Rotora is about as cheap as i would go for any drilled rotors. But imo, just get a set of powerslot rotors and call it a day. They are quality, and very affordable. For pads, thats up to you and how you drive. EBC makes some decent pads, Hawk pads are nice, and Endless pads would be good.

Bigdough666

Picture Me Rollin
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
To answer your question, I run the rotors from that Ebay seller on my car, so far so good. I do NOT run their pads though, I bought the pads locally. My car isnt my daily driver anymore, but they did just fine stopping me on the dragstrip from 120+ over and over so Im happy with them. Especially considering I paid $120 for all 4 shipped.

That 13" setup mentioned earlier would be a great deal if you could really make it happen for $600 or so. I was going to go with a BBK but I run a 15" wheel in the front which barely clears the STOCK brake setup so I would have no chance in clearing a BBK.