Do targa tops really seal?

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Really? I swear it seems like a myth I am chasing trying to get my top to not leak water. Mine leaks water through the front trim between the front of the targa and windsheild and through the dome lamp assembly. New seal, 2 different seal rail, different attachment hardware, RTV and glass sealing tape all have failed to seal my targa. Anything else I can try?

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Been there, done that. I think it may well be impossible to make a targa leak free, and still be functional.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
mine doesnt leak, idk how old the seals are though. ive had the car for a year now and its never leaked. when i picked the car up it was pouring down rain and i was scared to deat when i sat in it, but it was dry. my top hasnt been off the whole time ive owned it though.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
bmoss85;1202686 said:
mine doesnt leak, idk how old the seals are though. ive had the car for a year now and its never leaked. when i picked the car up it was pouring down rain and i was scared to deat when i sat in it, but it was dry. my top hasnt been off the whole time ive owned it though.

Don't ever take it off.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
ms07s;1202693 said:
Don't ever take it off.

its gonna come off when its warm and when its running. if rains it will be in the garage. if i can get my garage back from the hostile take over from my wife and kids

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
tbcmorris;1202609 said:
Getting a heardtop ;)

I am really thinking about this option.

ValgeKotkas;1202614 said:
Body straight? :D

Up until Sept it was a stock NA. Even now I am not pushing enough torque to twist it out. As far as I can tell everything checks fairly well.

bmoss85;1202686 said:

Mine never leaked until I took the top off for the first time. Then the ordeal began. It just gets more and more frustrating as time goes on.

Last edited:

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Kckazdude;1202699 said:
Mine never leaked until I took the top off for the first time. Then the ordeal began. It just gets more and more frustrating as time goes on.

Same. PO RTVed the thing on. After I removed it it has been one fix after another. I have done every fix I could find on this forum and all 4 seals are brand new....still leaks.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, they wouldn't have been able to sell em if they never sealed :rofl:

Sounds like:
- Bad install on the gaskets (sorry if this offends you, just saying)
- The targa isn't installed correctly. Tighten the back two bolts, the driver's side front, and then the passenger side front. Not doing it in this order will cause it to leak, rattle, and you can strip out the bolts.
- Targa was straightened. It's supposed to be slightley bent so it applies pressure on the middle of the seals. This is obvious when you bolt one front bolt down.

Did you lubricate the seals when first installing the targa after the seals where installed? They tent to bind and get pulled out of where they need to be without some silicone spray.

It may actually be your windshield leaking though...

nightmare

Sep 19, 2008
Southern Indiana
When I got my targa top. It leaked really bad at the outside front corners. My seat was wet everytime it rained. I actually thought about RTV'ing it in until this summer when I can get to changing seals. But I choose to be redneck and put about 4 layers of duct tape in the corners:rofl:. (just to get it by this winter) ... like they say.."If you cant duck it... F@#k it."

EthanMKIII

Nov 5, 2008
Vancouver
nightmare;1202757 said:
When I got my targa top. It leaked really bad at the outside front corners. My seat was wet everytime it rained. I actually thought about RTV'ing it in until this summer when I can get to changing seals. But I choose to be redneck and put about 4 layers of duct tape in the corners:rofl:. (just to get it by this winter) ... like they say.."If you cant duck it... F@#k it."

I used a rag i tore it into long thin strips then put them between the targa and car worked great!

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
my roof comes off alot, previous owner said she used it alot too, still seals perfect, no leaks what so ever, they are pretty new seals at 5 years old I think, have to check the receipts again.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, as it's a structural member it's glued in really well.

If it's leaking around the windshield pray there isn't rust...