Do I need a New Radiator?

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Most of you know that my car is out of commission, awaiting a Legend of Aces rebuild, and a Lipp Boss Jr turbo. I previously thought that I had everything covered, but I forgot about the radiator.

The last time I drove the Supra she started spitting out coolant at the rear of the block. I limped her home and there she has sat, since October. Is there any chance that my radiator has been rusting out since then, since the fluid level has been severely low since then? I honestly cannot remember if I filled up the rad and reservoir that day, so I'll have to check tonight. But in any case, replace it or not? And if the answer is replace, with what?

Will replacing the radiator create much more work for Keith (mechanic friend) when he swaps my 7Ms?

Thanks.

Ben

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
just have it chemically flushed. As long as there are no leaks you're fine. If you DO replace it i would consider aftermarket.

lppro

LP Performance & off road
Apr 21, 2007
Sugar Hill, Georgia, United States
the way i look at it- your spending a few grand on a nice built motor why not spend a couple hundred on a nice aluminum rad.? its just good insurance and its one less thing to worry about.

the ebay godspeed radiators are good i have had one for almost 2 years and it is great. at 220 shipped you cant beat it!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
if i was doing the swap i would have the rad out just so i dont ding it when putting the motor back in so im sure he is too plus its only 2 10mm blots that hold it in.

do what lppro said and get a alum one.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
lppro;1246366 said:
the way i look at it- your spending a few grand on a nice built motor why not spend a couple hundred on a nice aluminum rad.? its just good insurance and its one less thing to worry about.

the ebay godspeed radiators are good i have had one for almost 2 years and it is great. at 220 shipped you cant beat it!

I agree....You might as well get a new radiator to compliment your new motor.
Good peace of mind...worst feeling ever when something goes wrong with the car and your nowhere near home.