disapearing coolant

notmymk3

Aug 27, 2006
Mission Viejo California
Yeah today I added around 3/4 of a cup of distilled water in my radiator and added some more in the overfill tank, but what baffles me is I just flushed it 3 weeks ago. I see no visable signs of leaks. Anyone got a clue whats going on ?

p.s I just changed the head gasket and tourqed to 60 ft lbs

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Also, along with looking for leaks, smelling for them when the motor is hot can be helpful too.

Burp it and report back.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Too tired to type but here:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=330970&postcount=10

Also you can just go on a steep hill, nose up. Essentually, your moving air to the top of the cooling system, which is the radiator fill neck (when on incline).

Then, obviously, if it burps some air, fill the radiator, and fill the overfill tank to the full mark, and moniter it the next few heat cycles.

Good luck.

Edit: Since your new, I must tell you to use the search button. This topic and others have been covered billions of times.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Yea, it sounds like it could have been an air pocket...but if it keeps happening, then you have other problems. Also, it seems like everyone talks about "burping" the system, but from what I understand, you shouldn't have to do this. If everything in the cooling system is working correctly, the system should purge itself. I had air trapped in my system for a really long time, and I tried burping several times, but couldn't get it all out (had waterfall sound), after a long road trip, all of the air collected toward the top of the radiator, so I put more coolant in, and no more waterfall sound.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
johnathan1 said:
Yea, it sounds like it could have been an air pocket...but if it keeps happening, then you have other problems. Also, it seems like everyone talks about "burping" the system, but from what I understand, you shouldn't have to do this. If everything in the cooling system is working correctly, the system should purge itself. I had air trapped in my system for a really long time, and I tried burping several times, but couldn't get it all out (had waterfall sound), after a long road trip, all of the air collected toward the top of the radiator, so I put more coolant in, and no more waterfall sound.

Yeah, that is true. But burping the system is an attempt to expedite the process. Get out what you can, and what you cant should work its way out.