Dipsticks

sean210

Father to Be
Nov 26, 2007
indianapolis
Does anyone know if there is a difference between a GE and GTE oil dipstick.
My sister checked my oil and lost it.
Don't ask how.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Same so far as I remember...

There are two different styles of dipsticks though (one is ugly, but easier to read)

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
chedderknight;942947 said:
which one was the ugly one again? the pre 89's usually?

Yup the earlier ones are hard to read. Go get yourself a new one for a '92 from Toyota, they read an extra 1/2 quart to full. So it will take another 1/2 quart to hit the full mark even though your oil should always be at full or above.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, the GE has an ugly handle on it while the GTE has a nice handle...

When I first fill my car I use the GE one cause the oil is so clean it's near impossible to read the GTE one...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
when i ordered mine, they gave me a non-cali 89+ d/s. It had the nice handle(black T), and was the same reading mechanism on the bottom.

My car, unfortunately is cali-spec and needs the ugly yellow loop handle d/s. (cali d/s is a small bit longer.)

sean210

Father to Be
Nov 26, 2007
indianapolis
LilMissMkIII;943540 said:
I wanna know how she lost it?????

So do I.
She said her Fiance said he heard a lifter noise and he wanted to know if
it was low and he was gonna put oil in it and when I got it back
their was no dipstick.

And there is no lifter noise, He was mistaken for the injectors.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
there are 3 styles and the redesigned ones are the best out of them all. the old NAs were the easiest to read (yellow handle) and the black t was better design but harder to read. the newest one is the easiest to use and looks the best!

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
I just bought a new one for about $17. It has a t-handle with "Engine Oil" prominently displayed on it. It's not quite as easy to read as my original yellow-handled one. However, my old one doesn't hold in the tube worth beans any more due to the rubber bit being all hard and squished from 20+ years of being heated.

While the new one is just fine, I miss the look of the simple yellow handle...

Asterix

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
mine doesnt look like either of those its not one ive seen before its a metal looped handle its very easy to read and flat the whole way down the dipstick.