Differences between NA & Turbo Suspension?

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
Ok here's the background to the question. I currently drive a '87 Hardtop Turbo but I'm restoring a '90 Targa NA. I'm going to be doing a 1JZ swap into the '90 NA and parting out my '87 Turbo. The question is what should I consider swapping from the Turbo to the NA as far as Suspension parts go. Are there any differences in the brakes (calipers, rotors, pads, etc...) or in the suspension (control arms, strut bars, bearings, anything...). The NA I'm restoring has NO ABS or TEMS but that's the way I want to keep it, as simple as possible. Also, I know the driveshaft and differential are different but what about the half-shafts in the rear? I just want to make sure I get whatever I need off of the '87 before I part it out and sell something I might need. Thanks to any suggestions.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I'm actually really not sure what is different if anything. As far as I know, brakes, suspension, drivetrain, etc are all the same. The only difference in the drivetrain would be the trans and diff final drives. And then if there were additional options, there were parts added for that. Like ABS cars will have the abs ring on the hubs, but structurally and strengthwise, i don't think there's anything different.

Maybe someone else will chime in and tell me I'm wrong. And there may be different part numbers for some of the things, but in terms of function and use, I don't think there is much difference throughout the years, but I'm sure I am forgetting something.

Tim

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the reply. I know the differences between ABS vs. non-ABS and TEMS vs. non-TEMS. I'm mostly looking for any differences between durability and strength. If there is a difference between the NA running gear and Turbo running gear I'm going to want to swap over the turbo stuff or upgrade before I throw a 1JZ in and start bumping the HP into the 400+ range. Nothing worse than having way more HP than your suspension and brakes can handle. Anybody else want to chime in???

Johnysupra

Rhenerie
Nov 7, 2007
Michigan
rhenerie.spaces.live.com
The Suspension and brakes on the NA/turbo are the same. However i do know the newer MK3's like 89+ have rear subframe reinforcements but dont know if NA's had them to.. Frame wise their going to be identical. So if anything the NA should be better if it has the reinforced Rear Subframe.. im sure since you have them both you can compare that and find out yourself.

Edit: However a hardtop is going to be more ridgid compared to a targa anyday.

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
I haven't started to tear the suspension apart on the NA car but I'll wait to part out the Turbo until I can sort through and keep the better condition stuff of the two. I know a Targa isn't going to be as "solid" as a hardtop but I don't plan on doing any x-cross and would only make it to a drag strip on rare occasions so that's not much of a worry for me. Thanks for the input guys!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The 89+ cars where a bit lower (springs), sway bars are different from the EPC...

Pre-89 has metal swaybar endlinks in the back (switched to plastic on the 89+ cars because the tabs broke off on the suspension arm)

Reinforced subframe on 89+ cars (already mentioned)