Difference in the size of turbos

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
What is the difference in the shaft size between the medium and large frame Garrett GT turbos. With all things being equal, how much slower would a large frame turbo spool up compared to it's medium frame sibling. The reason that I'm asking is that I'm currently looking at a GT3782 and am wondering how much slower it would spool compared to a GT3582R.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
there is no relation.

medium frame as done by garret is the install base. A t4. Large frame are the T6 turbo. The Garrett Large frames don't start until the GT45's though.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/turbochargers.html

Large frame turbos start with GT37??? I thought my GT40R was the smallest of the large frames, I guess no more.

figgie;1404063 said:
there is no relation.

medium frame as done by garret is the install base. A t4. Large frame are the T6 turbo. The Garrett Large frames don't start until the GT45's though.

Larger turbos in general will take longer to spool, but you can make more HP on pump gas with a larger turbo too. I'm not sure, but I think all large frames have seven blades as opposed to six on the cold side of the medium framed turbos.

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
RacerXJ220;1407262 said:
Large frame turbos start with GT37??? I thought my GT40R was the smallest of the large frames, I guess no more.

The GT37 was mostly used for diesel applications, but last year Garrett started to eliminate all of the smaller GT40 sizes and moved them to the GT37 platform. The interesting part is that the GT3782 has a different compressor map than the GT4082 did. On the GT37 the surge line is further left and it can't push as much air at the higher pressure ratios. It can still move more air than most 7Ms can handle.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
M. Conte over on SF is one of the reasons for the GT37, says he bugged them enough anyway. Others have bugged Garrett for a smaller large frame for years.

Still has seven blades vs. six. Garrett can keep making them smaller, they'll still make great power.

Same story for 76mm, they flow more than a stock 2JZ head can flow, but people are still throwing them on there even though the car will be faster with a smaller turbo on a stock head IMO.

We see we do huh.

Mark Conte

Supramania Contributor
RacerXJ220;1407262 said:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/turbochargers.html

Larger turbos in general will take longer to spool, but you can make more HP on pump gas with a larger turbo too. I'm not sure, but I think all large frames have seven blades as opposed to six on the cold side of the medium framed turbos.

Try not to put too much stock into the nomenclature of frame size. Just pay attention to the wheels and you should be alright. But no they don't all have 7 blades, to my knowledge there isn't any uniform 'wheel change' just going from GT35 to GT37 (and larger) families.

sk6471;1407667 said:
The GT37 was mostly used for diesel applications, but last year Garrett started to eliminate all of the smaller GT40 sizes and moved them to the GT37 platform. The interesting part is that the GT3782 has a different compressor map than the GT4082 did. On the GT37 the surge line is further left and it can't push as much air at the higher pressure ratios. It can still move more air than most 7Ms can handle.

Correct, the GT37 product was, and still is, used mostly in their Diesel kits (like their Cummins and Duramax kits). They just recently stuffed the 7 blade 88mm compressor wheel from the 4088R into that turbo with some paletable turbine A/Rs for a performance unit.

As far as the 3782 and 4082 having different compressor maps, it's because they are different wheels, they just have the same exducer dimension. The GT3782 as a higher trim wheel (larger inducer).

RacerXJ220;1407837 said:
M. Conte over on SF is one of the reasons for the GT37, says he bugged them enough anyway. Others have bugged Garrett for a smaller large frame for years.

Still has seven blades vs. six. Garrett can keep making them smaller, they'll still make great power.

Same story for 76mm, they flow more than a stock 2JZ head can flow, but people are still throwing them on there even though the car will be faster with a smaller turbo on a stock head IMO.

We see we do huh.

Eh, you give me too much credit haha. I very much doubt they cared what I had to say, although I did talk to a handful of the people that matter and a couple of the engineers about it. Still Garrett is a big company, and I'm just some guy that knows a few people. :)