Diff question

Princesupratn

May 16, 2009
Memhips
I would like to get you guys input on my diff. My car is an 87 na that i went turbo but i still have the na diff i have a choice of getting a turbo diff would i see a difference in power or better gearing?

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
the first thing i would want to do is check to see if your diff has lsd.

“'86.5-'92 MA70 N/A MKIIIs without Sport Package have a 4.30, open differential. “

“'86.5-'92 MA70 N/A MKIIIs with Sport Package (TEMS & headlight washers on '86.5 - '88 : TEMS & PPS on '89-'92) have a 4.30, clutch-pack LSD differential.”

The 4.3 with LSD is not an easy find (at least for me it isn’t.)
The advantages of having the 4.3 are that you accelerate quicker through gears making it an ideal setup for the ¼ mile. The downside is that you do run out of gears quicker and compromise your top end speed ( i have brought mine to the 240 km/hr range). Also your rpm vs speed range is altered , and you will now be doing more work at 100 KM/h vs one with a stock turbo diff which is approx 23-2500 rpm, which means fuel consumption is not as good for highway driving. you will also burn more oil, as you do more work rpm wise too.

I have the 4.3 lsd in my car, i don’t see myself going back to the 3.73 (89+ turbo diff). me the pros out weigh the cons. 87-88 turbos had 3.91 i believe.

Princesupratn

May 16, 2009
Memhips
CzA;1401836 said:
the first thing i would want to do is check to see if your diff has lsd.

“'86.5-'92 MA70 N/A MKIIIs without Sport Package have a 4.30, open differential. “

“'86.5-'92 MA70 N/A MKIIIs with Sport Package (TEMS & headlight washers on '86.5 - '88 : TEMS & PPS on '89-'92) have a 4.30, clutch-pack LSD differential.”

The 4.3 with LSD is not an easy find (at least for me it isn’t.)
The advantages of having the 4.3 are that you accelerate quicker through gears making it an ideal setup for the ¼ mile. The downside is that you do run out of gears quicker and compromise your top end speed ( i have brought mine to the 240 km/hr range). Also your rpm vs speed range is altered , and you will now be doing more work at 100 KM/h vs one with a stock turbo diff which is approx 23-2500 rpm, which means fuel consumption is not as good for highway driving. you will also burn more oil, as you do more work rpm wise too.

I have the 4.3 lsd in my car, i don’t see myself going back to the 3.73 (89+ turbo diff). me the pros out weigh the cons. 87-88 turbos had 3.91 i believe.

From what i'm reading i think should stick with the diff i already have. As the top end part i guess an easy fix would be more power huh problem solve:naughty: thanks for the info i need it

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
Princesupratn;1402174 said:
From what i'm reading i think should stick with the diff i already have. As the top end part i guess an easy fix would be more power huh problem solve:naughty:

Wrong.

You can have all the power in the world, but when you run out of gear, you're not going to go any faster. (Although how often to you reach top speed anyway; so why worry about it)?

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I think a lower gear at the track would of trapped me a lower top speed, and a faster 1/4mile time myself. (I used to think the other way around too, even though a lot of turbo guys say the 4.3 is just too much gear) I ran a 14.2@101 and with the trap speed I should of gotta into the 13's with a 2.1 60ft time.

Hey PrinceSupra, Mine is a 86.5 w/ the 4.3lsd, headlight washers but no TEMS? I'm guessing there was several options you could choose from eh?