Diesel trucks

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
I was leaving a local Sheetz after filling up, fucking gas prices are stupid. Checked all my tire pressures before leaving and pulled out onto the road. I slowly pulled up to a red light with a diesel truck in front of me, it's a turning lane so I knew I'd just get in front of this duramax in front of me when the light turns green.

Light switches green and the duramax slowly pulls off the light with me following, he goes into the right lane so I merge into the left lane while I keep driving normally. In about 3rd I start going by the guy with my turn coming up then I hear the duramax start to come to life, turbo whistling and exhaust sound growing. By now I'm going into 4th gear and my turn is quickly coming up so I push the gas a little harder only to hear the duramax beside me fully open up and come to life. So now I just figure this guy is either trying to be a dick and not let me over or is trying to actually see what my car has got, I just put it to the floor and let him hear my turbo sounds right back, quickly passing him.

Now like I said before, I'm not sure if this guy was just trying to see what my car had or if he was really trying to run me. This isn't the first diesel to do this either, I've had more ford rangers and chevy s10's race me than I've had imports race me.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Nice one.

I live in oil country so the rig rockets around here can be dam fast.
Spend $400 on a tuner and make 500hp and 800ft/lbs. I wish it was that easy with a supra.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
I was with a friend in his srt4 and some how we came across this Cummins and duramax. We watched them take off and we finally caught up when the smoke stopped, we followed for acouple minutes and they lined up again, we got behind the the duramax cuz we thought it would be slower, they rolled on the throttle and this damn duramax dude, took off like a fucking top fuel rail. And this sound it made still gives me the chills. It wasn't anything ordinary like wastegate or the typical duramax sound, it was like a ghostly demon scream I kid you not.

We were literally speechless. We chased them to a parking lot and the guy said he was running NOS and Meth on a fully built stroker engine and mentioned he beats R1 bikes.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
BoostMonger;1898587 said:
I was with a friend in his srt4 and some how we came across this Cummins and duramax. We watched them take off and we finally caught up when the smoke stopped, we followed for acouple minutes and they lined up again, we got behind the the duramax cuz we thought it would be slower, they rolled on the throttle and this damn duramax dude, took off like a fucking top fuel rail. And this sound it made still gives me the chills. It wasn't anything ordinary like wastegate or the typical duramax sound, it was like a ghostly demon scream I kid you not.

We were literally speechless. We chased them to a parking lot and the guy said he was running NOS and Meth on a fully built stroker engine and mentioned he beats R1 bikes.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Oh yeah I know these things can be made to be stupid quick, my friends uncle builds 5.7 cummins for a living. His current truck is making 1600 rwhp and the dyno wouldn't read his rwtq, spins the full 1/4 with 4 wheel drive and 10.5 slicks all around. I can't recall his best time so far.

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
Diesels are stupid fast and my first love. I have an 06 Dmax that'll do about 550 to the wheels but I don't have enough money at the moment to build my tranny. I have several friends driving around built though, an 01 that will do about 600rwhp and laid down some mid 12's I think and another that has an 07 with sequential twins making 650 on a mild tune. I get excited when that thing opens up.
I know of another guy (friend of a friend) that has a Dmax laying down somewhere around 1600rwhp with a stroker and who knows what else.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Impressive that they move that much mass as quick as they do, but I don't understand WHY. I didn't buy my Supra to tow things, so why the diesel guys buy their trucks to race, I really don't get it. I've yet to have one keep up with my car once we started getting to highway speeds, at least not yet. I know there are plenty of fast ones out there, just don't understand the why part. They handle like, well... trucks. Putting that much power in something that handles so poorly seems like a clever way of earning a Darwin award. :p

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
te72;1899948 said:
Impressive that they move that much mass as quick as they do, but I don't understand WHY. I didn't buy my Supra to tow things, so why the diesel guys buy their trucks to race, I really don't get it. I've yet to have one keep up with my car once we started getting to highway speeds, at least not yet. I know there are plenty of fast ones out there, just don't understand the why part. They handle like, well... trucks. Putting that much power in something that handles so poorly seems like a clever way of earning a Darwin award. :p

I think its just fun to surprise people. I know it is for me! You should have seen the look on the kids face when his STI couldn't pull my truck.
It also makes them haul better when setup right and I get better MPG than I did stock.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
ryan625;1900040 said:
I think its just fun to surprise people. I know it is for me! You should have seen the look on the kids face when his STI couldn't pull my truck.
It also makes them haul better when setup right and I get better MPG than I did stock.

But why try to race a 'sports car' with your 'tow vehicle'?

That's like trying to get more MPG than an eco car..

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Why?
For the sleeper effect. You wouldn't be shocked to be beaten by a porsche, perhaps.
But a pickup with a ball hitch? It's just not as expected. I get it.
All the same, I'll stick with my Supra.

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
You just aren't going to get it then I guess. Ever seen a 7,500lb truck run a 1/4 in 10 seconds? Its pretty impressive...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I don't care what package a 1000+ HP/tq motor is in. Its cool.

I just love the power those things can make. I'd love to see someone swap one of those massive engines into something more drive able.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
ryan625;1901261 said:
You just aren't going to get it then I guess. Ever seen a 7,500lb truck run a 1/4 in 10 seconds? Its pretty impressive...
Never said it wasn't impressive, but I like being able to turn too... Perhaps it's all the douchebags with white sunglasses around here that drive them and think they're badass, I dunno.

If you want to surprise me, outrun me in a minivan or something. A truck that comes stock with twice the torque my car puts out isn't surprising when it is modified and quick. ;)

ryan625;1901270 said:
PPE built a Chevelle with a Duramax in it. I would do unspeakable things for that car...http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0906phr_1970_chevy_chevelle_turbo_diesel/viewall.html
I saw that thing over the summer I think it was. Other than sounding like a tractor, it's pretty badass!