dies at quarter tank o gas

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
my car runs strong with anything more than quarter tank, but right when it gets to a quarter. it will miss and or cutout for 3 to 4 seconds. I have had it completely stall and it hard to start. I have kept it above the quarter mark so i dont if my guages off. This just happened out off no where. It has a new filter and a pretty new fuel pump. suggestions?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Take a fuel can with you when it's just about to run out again.

When it stops put the fuel from the can in, write the amount down, drive gently to the nearest gas station and top the tank off, add the 2 volumes and let us know exactly how much went in.

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
12.75 Gallons to gas cap. that was from 2 notches above a quarter. Something is def messed up. I started the car and the guage sank past E. drove off from the station and it was climbing back up. By time I was home it was just below F.

JDMDrift

Banned
Jun 15, 2008
Michigan
Is any of your electrical not functioning correctly?

it sounds like you have bigger issues, your fuel dampener should have a screw at the top of it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
87supraturbo19;1056358 said:
12.75 Gallons to gas cap. that was from 2 notches above a quarter. Something is def messed up. I started the car and the guage sank past E. drove off from the station and it was climbing back up. By time I was home it was just below F.

The gauge is dampened so being slow to rise is normal.

48 litres for a fill from empty isn't!

Time to drop the tank and have a look at the pump.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Won't know till you open it up and see ;)

Our tanks hold around the 70 litre mark with 4 litres being below the pickup when it stops, your car stops at 27 litres remaining so there's something seriously wrong.

(when the low fuel light comes on you usually have at least 50 Km's before it stops)

I can't think of what could cause this behaviour though as the pickup is on the bottom of the pump and the pump is at the bottom of the hanger so even if the filter screen falls off it shouldn't make a difference.

Hence you need to get in there and see just what's wrong.