Did small burnout and now transmission won't shift into gear while engine is running.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
It's strange and I really wasn't very hard on the clutch at all when this happened. 3 second burnout in 1st gear and then I quickly disengaged the clutch and shifted into neutral when things got a bit squirrely. Wondering what damage I did. Won't be able to get the car in the air to pull the inspection cover until Friday. I didn't hear any noise before it happened. Just all of a sudden I tried shifting out of neutral and all gears were blocked out. When the engine is turned off it shifts like butter. I can start the car in neural and it stays put, so the clutch is not engaged. If I shut off the engine and put it into a gear, say first or reverse, and then start the engine with the clutch depressed, the engine fires up and the car remains in neutral. However as I start to engage the clutch I hear a terribly loud metal to metal grinding noise and the entire vehicle starts to shake. The car will begin to move but it sounds like I'm causing a lot of damage. I only did this to get the car moved back a few feet and never actually fully engage the clutch.

What do you think I did? Throwout bearing perhaps? Broken flywheel bolts? Trans crush washer?

Btw, the clutch pedal feels and travels absolutely normal with no noise when the engine off.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The clutch is not disengaging. If you keep sidestepping the clutch, that condition will go away. Just give it good fuel and time. You will smell it, then it will release.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
That makes sense that the cluch is stuck to the flywheel after a burnout. What I don't under stand is the noise and the shaking when gently releasing the clutch pedal with the trans in first gear. Is it because it's not able to slip for smooth engagement? What about the metal-to-metal noise?

I just don't want to cause any unneeded damage trying to free the clutch like that if there's something else going on.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I guess your sarcasm meter is shut off. When you say "release" that is really engagement. The noise is the clutch assembly. There are springs inside that do things like assist in disc release and reducing chatter. They are probably damaged.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Removed the inspection cover and saw no damage, at least from what I can see. Put the car in gear in the air and it didn't make nearly as much noise. I could see the throw out bearing jiggling around, so that's toast for sure. Gonna pull the tranny this week and check for damage to the clutch assembly and flywheel.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If the release bearing doesn't release....What do you mean jiggling around? It needs to slide back and forth to engage and disengage, and it needs to rotate with engine speed.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Hopefully not. Both A Techs at my work believe it to be just the throw out bearing. Won't know for sure until I get around to pulling the trans.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Looks like I'm leaking trans fluid from around the input shaft too. I hope it's just a seal. Can't really deal with a trans rebuild right now. Beginning to regret running so much power on this thing.

terrenceLP

Mar 22, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
I wanna see some pictures!

Just reading through your post...

Was this a stock or old worn clutch and associated parts?

This was the "The First Time" doing a burnout?

Solved!

You broke your shit homie! I'm gonna say you never once replaced or did needed maintenance on your clutch assembly, rev'd it up and like an old batman show "WHAMO! BANG! BOOM!" your tranny is dead.

Motor mounts new? Tranny mounts new?

You basically overloaded old ass parts.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
If you look through my signature in the first post, you'll see my mod list. I'm currently running a Spec Stage 3 clutch with 6 puck disk. I do run the stock fluid filled motor mounts but I also have the BIC motor and transmission braces installed. Why would you think anything in my build is original and worn?

I will take so pics of the carnage once I get in there.

Sep 1, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
MarkIII4Me;1978624 said:
Looks like I'm leaking trans fluid from around the input shaft too. I hope it's just a seal. Can't really deal with a trans rebuild right now. Beginning to regret running so much power on this thing.

Best of luck to you, the reason I said what I said is, because what you posted sounded kinda like a common used and abused aged transmission that had it's last shift... hard or not...

Old transmissions get loose, sycros wear, seals get hard ect. ect.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Finally, after 4 months of sitting I decided to have my car towed back to my garage from work to drop the tranny. For shits and giggles I attempted to shift the trans into first while the engine was warming up. Low and behold it shifted from neutral into first no problem. I started to engage the clutch and things got shaky again. This time instead of letting up I gave it more gas and fully engaged the clutch. Once I got moving the ride smoothed out and she drove fine. I can't believe it! Must have been a welded disk to flywheel all this time. I probably will still change out the clutch at some point anyways.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Oh, I still heard a jingling noise is the rear as I drove. The diff was just rebuilt so I hope that's not where it's from. I know my carrier bearing is shot and has a bunch of movement, so hopefully that's what's causing the noise. I plan on replacing it next week anyways as I already have the part.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Replaced the old worn carrier bearing.

What a difference! No more shaking like mad while I'm moving. :)

Clutch engagement in first gear was still not very good. Very chattery and only way I wouldn't stall out was if I dumped it at 3000rpm. Once I started moving it shifted fine. I decided to pull the trans. Problem was, it wouldn't come off. So the clutch had to be removed from the flywheel through the inspection covers. Once I got it down I found that the pilot bearing was welded to the very end of the trans input shaft. I had to use a cutoff wheel to remove it. My spec stage 3 disk, pressure plate and fidanza flywheel friction plate were all toast.

New friction plate and ARP bolts looking good!

Now just waiting on a new pilot bearing and OEM Aisin clutch disk to come from Toyota. Going to be running an RPS 3200 Dual Diaphram PP so it should hold the power and still be slippable. I'm not too worried about crank walk as I have the neutral safety switch disabled and several of my friends have ran this PP with no issues. The older dual diaphram pp's supposedly have more clamping force than the newer single diaphram models.

Bmettie

Apr 27, 2010
Florida
MarkIII4Me;2000711 said:
Now just waiting on a new pilot bearing and OEM Aisin clutch disk to come from Toyota. Going to be running an RPS 3200 Dual Diaphragm PP so it should hold the power and still be slippable. I'm not too worried about crank walk as I have the neutral safety switch disabled and several of my friends have ran this PP with no issues. The older dual diaphragm pp's supposedly have more clamping force than the newer single diaphragm models.

Careful with a stock disc on that flywheel, mainly just the insert. http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?685353-Spec-Aluminum-Flywheel-hitting-OEM-Clutch
My own experience.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Were you using a SPEC flywheel or a Fidanza? I'm using a Fidanza.

Here's a pic of the Aisin disk on the RPS PP. (Yes I know it's on backwards).

All mounted up.

Engagement is really smooth, but I'm hearing a hissing noise as soon as my foot touches the clutch pedal. Basically anytime the clutch slips. I haven't even put 3 miles on it yet, so I'm hoping it goes away once it wears in. So far it hasn't slipped on me, but I haven't really gotten into boost either.

Last edited: