did I get screwed again?

joeytvr

Apr 3, 2007
Louisiana
Well i just pulled my valve covers to retourqe my head. however instead of ARP headstuds that i paid for what is there is head bolts that appear to be stock. They take a 10mm allen head to remove (do not have one tonight). Could this be atleast arp head bolts? Or for sure stock ones?

joeytvr

Apr 3, 2007
Louisiana
damn, first we paid for crower rods and got stock ones, now stock headbolts. This guy really screwed us well. I am glad I pulled the covers, I was about to turn the SP67 up to 18psi this weekend.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
yeah no kidding...who did it and why dont you go back to him and get money back? im assuming you have receipts for what was said to have been done or some sort of "it has this "" type " deal?

joeytvr

Apr 3, 2007
Louisiana
KMS engine development built it. About the only thing they did well was the head work.

at the time of the build my friend owned the car. After over a year he still did not have the motor. He then passed away and I was given the car. I had to then fight with them to get the motor back. Once i got it I noticed stock rods. Called him and all he would do was argue about how they have made so much power on reworked stock rods.... I then wanted a list of parts in the motor and specs. John then said oh thats trade secrets??????? WTF

So I have what was supposed to be a full built motor. JE pistons, crower rods, custom cams, valve springs, titanium rods, full ported heads, and so on. And also swain coating on internals, bearings and everything

Al I know I have is a ported head with ferrea valves (no flow numbers) metal head gasket (no idea on engine compression) reworked stock rods with arp bolts and thats about it. i think he paid around $6,000

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
Are you sure the head is ported with ferrea valves, have you had the manifolds off? Does it have dual valve springs? I'm just curious, you don't have any of the other things they claimed to have done. If they did in fact build an engine like that, it sounds like you don't have it.

joeytvr

Apr 3, 2007
Louisiana
well it has very nice port work and undercut valves for sure. The port work is first class. I do head work myself so that I know I got. After that I guess they got lazy. Goes to show never pay in full up front.

I need to reshim a few valves soon so I will see if theres any titanium retaners or dual valve springs

joeytvr

Apr 3, 2007
Louisiana
just checked my exhuast valve clearance

Starting from front to back cold

.019, .016, .022, .018, .017, .010, .022, .018, .022, .018, .022, under.010

What should they be at cold? Also intake side?

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Dude.... you should have come to lakefront...

There were so many supra guys there... but no supras hardly :(

There were 3 mk4's and my mk3... also the mk3 with the 1jz in it.

Didn't have enough people representing supras out of the 300+ cars

joeytvr

Apr 3, 2007
Louisiana
well I was upset not to go. However with my valve specs so wack I did not want to drive the hour to get there like this. I will get this thing wraped up and hopefully we can get another one going soon enough. Bruce said your car was really nice.