Diagnostic Box Restoration

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Havent had any luck finding anything on this yet, but my diagnostic box is getting harder and harder to check codes from. The pins have gotten pushed down/bent over time from using homeade SST's, and inside the box it's getting crusty. I havent had a chance to pull the box off and inspect the pins and etc. But I will be attempting this soon. Can anyone link me to a good diagram of the diagnostic box itself or give me any information on how to take it apart and fix the pins and clean it up/restore mine? Might be one of those things that after I actually look at it, it is self explanitory on how it comes apart, but its been too cold to check it out lately...

Thanks,

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Doh...Great idea, thanks!

However, not going to run switches for every diag combination though (although that would be cool), just T and E1.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Since I admittedly know nothing about electrical, and I really don't want to cause worse problems, can someone tell me if this would be the correct way to do this, or if there are better ways. I have zero experience with toggle switches. Everything I search talks about wiring something in using a power and ground and it's confusing me. All I want to do is bridge 2 wires with a switch. (I'm a complete electrical noob)

-Splice into the T terminal wire, about 8 inches off the ECU and add a wire coming off of it
-Splice into the E1 terminal wire, about 8 inches off the ECU and add another wire
- Connect the added wire off the T terminal onto one side of toggle switch
- Connect the added wire off the E1 terminal to the other side of toggle switch

In my thinking with the toggle switch ON it would close the circuit and essentially "bridge" T and E1 allowing me to pull codes with the ignition on. With the toggle switch OFF it would bypass the switch and function as if T and E1 were not connected at all.

Am I close? ::slap:

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Thank you much.

One more thing... In theory, if I did this with VF and E1 as well and just hooked up a 0-5V gauge to it instead of a toggle switch are there any negatives to that?

Last edited:

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Backlash2032;1983715 said:
I wouldn't think so.. but I would just get a wideband.. :p

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

I have a Uego, but I think it would be cool to have a VF gauge. Also to correctly tune my SAFC when I get around to installing that I will need to monitor VF while cruising under 75% throttle.