Desperately need to find a couple of M9x1.25 bolts!

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
So I broke the two bolts in the block that hold the flange for the turbo oil return with the engine still in the vehicle. Bolts were cross threaded badly. Scary stuff. My buddy was able to drill and extract them, but it destroyed the original threads and opened the diameter pretty good.

He decided to tap them to an M9 helicoil since he wasn't comfortable tapping them any larger for fear of cracking the block.

I'm finding that these bolts simply don't exist. I'm guessing I need them around 3/4" to 1" in length. I'd be willing to cut the bolts if need be.

After hours of searching the net, the only thing I could come across were long grade 10 bolts that would cost me near $50 shipped for 2.
https://www.belmetric.com/bh9x125x75f-hex-bolt-109-p-5591.html?zenid=83f3lf0e7emombvha8lvpt3ut6&cPath=506_1027

Are there any other options out there? I've read that NA supra catalytic converter bolts are M9x1.25 but have no idea if they're talking about MKIII or MKIV Supras, nor do I have a part number.

Please help me! My car's tying up a bay at work and if I can't source some bolts soon it's gonna be sitting outside for a loooooooooooooooong time. :cry:

Last edited:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Why not tap them to m10 x 1.25? Assuming you work at some kind of car repair shop I'm sure you'd have that tap and those sized bolts or studs lying around everywhere.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Since it's already tapped for M9, he's really not trying to squeeze back in there. I wish he would have tapped it for M10 to begin with. I may have to have him go back in there and retap, however, if I could source some M9 bolts from somewhere then problem would be solved. But looks like M10 is the only way to go. It's hard to believe that even my Master Mechanic with his $20k SnapOn tool box setup doesn't have an M10 helicoil kit to use so I'll have to buy him one. :icon_roll

Last edited:

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Fastenal shows no listing for M9 bolts on their webpage. In fact nobody but belmetric shows any. And even they only show the one in my link above. That's it.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Thanks, but the bolt needs to be all thread up to at the last 1/4" before the head. The eBay listing is for a single bolt and I need 2, plus the thread stops too far from the head. Not sure what those ARP's are but I doubt that they're all thread. Only all thread bolts ARP makes are for flywheels and they are too short for my application. There is nothing on the net that'll work for me except the beltmetric bolt I posted. I looked for hours online. There's nothing there that will work that's in this country.

If anyone can supply me with a part number for an M9 bolt that I could get from a dealerships's part department, that'd be awesome. I know some Toyotas use them for the cats and some Ford's for the calipers. But that won't help me any since the dealer part department will either need a part number or specific oem application.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
I've been looking at those, but they seem too short. You have to remember I have that flange to bolt onto the block and that's a good 1/4" thick. Here's what I've found so far as to locating Toyota's allusive M9 bolts. There's the torque plate to torque converter M9 bolts (part number 90110-09010) but they're only like 12mm long. The catalytic converter bolts I'm finding are 90105-10023 (new part# 91512-81035), but I can't find out if they're M9's or not. If they are, then my search is over as these bolts are used on many different Toyotas and should be a stocked item.

bolt.jpg

Last edited:

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Toyota didn't have the bolts in stock so I gave up the search and tapped for M10x1.5

Engine is back together and running like a raped ape! :evil2:

It appears I finally fixed my sticking wastegate flapper (wastegate hole was slightly over-ported causing flapper to constantly stick open) by installing a small c-clip behind the flapper which limited its pivoting enough to keep it from catching the back edge when closing. Did my first full pull from 1st through 5th in as long as I can remember. I was hitting 6000rpm and full boost in each gear. By the time I got to fourth I thought I was going to push through the seat! It took me a full minute to get the smile off of my face. lol

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I would just remove those helicoils and put a time cert in there with a proper sized bolt or stud.