desperately need help finishing my dream project

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
mnmlst;2015405 said:
So, I have a 87-88 gte harness , yellow clips, HAC sensor
this will plug in to my post 89 7mgte and that should be all i need for electrical?
1986.5 mkiii manual trans + i have the ECU for the harness

From what I know with the cars i have worked on as long as the harness and ecu are the same year it should be fine. I am not sure about all the clips that go to the dash I don't think they will matter should clip right up. If you have a 86 and a half that will be a w58 and that will work on a turbo motor just need the na flywheel and new clutch and pressure plat and na drive shaft.

mk3lover

Jun 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
its 5 am here and ive been up all night going through cygnus and think im getting a general idea of the road ahead. im so ridiculously pumped to get this thing back together and give it the love it deserves!! its all dependent on if i can get to my buddies garage tomorrow but im optimistic i will be able to. my only thing that im super worried about and would like to know before i start throwing stuff back on is, are there and spots where i will block off hoses or wires? we have all the hoses and stuff off and i dont want to get it back together to take it back apart. i also have to swap hoses from the old motor because i dont have the money or time to wait for new ones, would there be any issues with that if the hoses are in good condition? thanks a crap ton! i really cant express how much i appreciate the help except by maybe getting this thing on the road and giving it what it deserves. you guys are awesome!!!!!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I would NEVER reuse old 90 degree hoses. They are $10 each or so from Toyota and are very easy to replace with the engine out. With the engine in, they are very difficult.

16282 and 16283:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=1603&P=2

As far as blocking the install of other items with hoses and wires you should be ok. Follow the steps in the TSRM and my write-up on YotaMD or in my sig. Mine apply to the 7MGE but the steps are similar.

mk3lover

Jun 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
haven't heard from him yet but i ordered the hoses and they should be here by 3:30. i cant get in there yet because i havent been told if anyone is even home. i know that the new motor has a harness thats got the gray plugs and i have an 88 supra with the original 7mgte. so would i be having to worry about the harness and sensors and such? and what exactly would i have to switch out or do to make everything fit and work safely and properly?

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
mk3lover;2015498 said:
haven't heard from him yet but i ordered the hoses and they should be here by 3:30. i cant get in there yet because i havent been told if anyone is even home. i know that the new motor has a harness thats got the gray plugs and i have an 88 supra with the original 7mgte. so would i be having to worry about the harness and sensors and such? and what exactly would i have to switch out or do to make everything fit and work safely and properly?

ok just use your 88 harness put that on the new motor and change the sensors on the water neck and as long as you have the 88 ecu you should be fine.

mnmlst

Apr 22, 2014
edmonton AB
what exactly do you mean by water neck, kakanator?

also thank you for posting those pics, got a good view of what i needed :)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The water neck is where the thermostat lives (commonly referred to as the thermostat housing.. lol) It has 3 sensors I believe. I can't remember which ones are different, but I believe the top one (IAT switch) is different between post and pre 89. You can tell quite simply by looking at the plugs really.

I was in your shoes... in the end.. I paid someone to do it.. lol. Was far far quicker.. and I make more money working then it costs me to build the car (hour-wise).

The problem is.. there are little things you can do initially to improve things that you wont know about. Most of it deals with the harness and improving it. Im not "expert" enough to throw those out there because I could steer you wrong by 'misremembering' something. I just know that my entire harness was gone through and certain areas were repaired and others upgraded. (I believe its the knock sensor wiring that you upgrade)

Also.. any coolant lines (unless you are 100% sure they are good) should just simply be replaced at this point. I do not use certain used items. I never use "used" spark plugs, wires, hoses, vacuum related hoses simply because they are not very expensive and doing them prior to putting the engine in the car is the simplest time. Especially if its at the back of the engine.

Another thing to consider is if you want to keep the EGR. In some places you have no choice, but the only car that monitors the EGR is Californian MK3's... (and maybe JDM...). My EGR was leaking and causing issues at the back of my head and I had no idea... no noise... no smoke... it was just pushing out exhaust there. Of course.. it does serve its purpose by cooling the exhaust and changing some bad exhaust chemicals.. but I run without and don't regret it. (I believe exhaust runs 100 deg cooler with the EGR at WOT)

mmlst... there is a few people in Edmonton that have MK3's... (Dan Gyoba is one). Have you joined the ALberta Supra Club forums to? (my name is same there)

mk3lover

Jun 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
hey guys got in the garage today only long enough to take pictures pretty much. they will be uploaded after i get home probably gonna be a lot of stupid stuff that i should know in there but dont judge the dumb questions lol :p thanks for the help so far everyone!!!

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Grandavi;2015535 said:
The water neck is where the thermostat lives (commonly referred to as the thermostat housing.. lol) It has 3 sensors I believe. I can't remember which ones are different, but I believe the top one (IAT switch) is different between post and pre 89. You can tell quite simply by looking at the plugs really.

I was in your shoes... in the end.. I paid someone to do it.. lol. Was far far quicker.. and I make more money working then it costs me to build the car (hour-wise).

The problem is.. there are little things you can do initially to improve things that you wont know about. Most of it deals with the harness and improving it. Im not "expert" enough to throw those out there because I could steer you wrong by 'misremembering' something. I just know that my entire harness was gone through and certain areas were repaired and others upgraded. (I believe its the knock sensor wiring that you upgrade)

Also.. any coolant lines (unless you are 100% sure they are good) should just simply be replaced at this point. I do not use certain used items. I never use "used" spark plugs, wires, hoses, vacuum related hoses simply because they are not very expensive and doing them prior to putting the engine in the car is the simplest time. Especially if its at the back of the engine.

Another thing to consider is if you want to keep the EGR. In some places you have no choice, but the only car that monitors the EGR is Californian MK3's... (and maybe JDM...). My EGR was leaking and causing issues at the back of my head and I had no idea... no noise... no smoke... it was just pushing out exhaust there. Of course.. it does serve its purpose by cooling the exhaust and changing some bad exhaust chemicals.. but I run without and don't regret it. (I believe exhaust runs 100 deg cooler with the EGR at WOT)

mmlst... there is a few people in Edmonton that have MK3's... (Dan Gyoba is one). Have you joined the ALberta Supra Club forums to? (my name is same there)

^ this every 2 wire sensor is different on the water neck from 88 to 89 it is only 3 of them i believe. Post them pics up so we can see what you got going.

mk3lover

Jun 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
this is all i was really able to get the other pictures wont come off of my phone but they were all parts and such. im going to try to tow the car and old motor there tomorrow but im not sure how thats going to work out yet. these will hopefull give an idea of where im at. is it really that far from being done or am i decently along?

Attachments

• 510.jpg
    510.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 497.jpg
    497.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 494.jpg
    494.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 492.jpg
    492.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 491.jpg
    491.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 7

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
You are doing good. Need to install the fuel main and return lines. install the wire harness and upper intake.

Put on your turbo and coolant lines to turbo.

Make sure knock sensors are installed and don't look all melted distorted from 25 years of heat.

I would replace the Heater hoses and the "90 degree" hose now. Much easier.

Once you are close take your time and refer to the "EM" section of repair manual .

Hope to see you car on the road soon.

Need to address trans cooler lines . Hopefully the ones in car are not cut.

mk3lover

Jun 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
the car was running and just developed a rod knock so those lines should be fine, hopefully lol. warning lots of probably dumb questions incoming. where are the knock sensors located at? arent there two 90 degree hoses? and is the heater hose another one of the definitely do not re-use kinda things? im really strapped for cash right now and have to finish this thing within the next week or so or it wont get done. i know pretty much all the hoses on the old motor are good just want to know if its a def dont re-use situation. also the harness thats in the car already is an 88 and the new motor has gray plugs. i know this was already answered but im really confused about it, will they plug up and run fine or will there be stuff that has to be cut and spliced and stuff?

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
The harness matches the car. Use your old harness. The sensors on water outlet housing may need to reuse old sensors or swap water outlet housing. It will plug up and run fine except for two or three sensor s on the water outlet. What they told you before is correct.

If broke re use all you can. It is just easier to replace where you are at now.

mk3lover

Jun 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
would where im at now be a good time to get all the hoses and lines hooked up before i start to put anything else on or would i not have trouble fitting stuff with the motor assembled? and good i was getting worried about the harness and stuff thinking about it today lol

mnmlst

Apr 22, 2014
edmonton AB
Grandavi;2015535 said:

Cool, I'll go join up! I've been hanging here only , because it's so active :)

Thermostat housing, that's what I thought.
So I'll need to find some old sensors to put on it from an older 7mgte? or are they the same as my old N/A sensors?

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
looking good the little 90 hose by the 6th cylinder on the exhaust side is one of the 90s and then right next to the 1 exhaust manifold runner is the other one. If they are not all soft and squishy then you should be fine to use them. Put them on before you slid the block in way easier to put them on now. Lay the harness down in the intake now before you put the motor in. Knock are 2 big round i think 26mm size sensors that go on the intake side of the block one hole is between cylinder 1 and 2 and the other is I think between 5 and 6. They have a single wire with a green clip on them that runs through the middle of the intake.