Des Moines Kill Tally

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
Just thought that I would Keep a running tally of how many people underestimate the MK3, or just don't know what it is. Here is gonna be a running tally of what we kill here in Des Moines, IA. It will also include anywhere else we cruise to.

Will not include duplicate chassis types(of same stock power levels).

Domestics:

Fords;
Fox Body: 2
Mustang New Edge: 0
Cobra: 1
AC Shelby: 1 (Replica Type)
GT: 0

GM;
F body(Camaro, Firebird, TA): 2
GTO: 0
350 Solstice: 0
G Body (Monte Carlo): 0
Corvette: 0

Chrysler:
Challenger: 0
Viper: 0

Imports:

Honda: (Hopefully Never)
Civic: 1
S2k: 0
Accord V6: 1
NSX: 1

Mitsu:
Evo: 1
3000GT: 0
DSM: 0

Mazda:
Speed3: 0
Speed6: 1
MX5: 0
RX7: 1
RX8: 0

Mercedes:
E46 M3: 1

Subaru:
WRX: 0
STI: 1

Exotic:

Porsche: (VW, Audi, Porsche)
Panamera 4S: 1

Lambo:

Ferarrari:

Last edited:

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
Ok little update from the past few weekends. Two weekends ago one of our MK3's had a couple of Honda's call him out. He's rocking a manual 7MGTE, 57 trim ct26, Lexus AFM, 560's, Aeromotive FPR, manual boost controller, and a SAFC. They were both drags the Accord was a V6 new body style and the Civic was rocking an engine swap. The MK3 had a horrible launch on both but ran them both down and passed them for the win.

Also had a highway roll race versus a RX7. TT RX7 with a boost controller that would not allow over 14 PSI, dont know his other mods (He's fixing his boost controller.) Started off from a 3rd gear roll on the highway of pulled away off the bat, but by the end of 3rd caught him. Hit 4th and pulled away for the win.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
We really need more races lol.
I have been working on my launch, and decided I need new tread. I either spin bad off the line then have to lift, or bog down and lag up.
Highway pulls and 40 rolls FTW!

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
There is a set of MT ET streets for sale on saw blades in IL.

Easter Weekend

Cruising home from my grandmothers (with a car full of parts and a saw blade with tire) I pass a semi and spot an Evo 9 on the other side. There's a car ahead of me but none in front of the Evo I pass him and then he gets on it and fenders me, just to let me know he's there. He ducks in behind me and we cruise through traffic until it opens up. This is what I can tell about him.

Evo 9
Exhaust
Double A pillar gauge
and a blow off valve

Me
on about 19 psi
because had to top off with 91 to get home so running on E40
Rest of mods in sig

After we find a clearing he starts slowing down a I downshift to 4th on the 1st one
no brake boost
I let him lead and run him down by the end of 4
then we start to run into traffic

The next 3 pulls are all the same
We get down to a 3rd gear rolling start and I let him pull first
brake boosting

Every time he would pull a 1/2 car before I started. We would be even in the end of his gear and then he'd shift I would pull a car. Then Id shift into 4 and by the end of 4 i would pull a car and a half and then id let off.

He finally got the picture and just ended up cruising with me for about 50 mi. until his exit ramp. Made the 5 1/2 hr drive go by much faster

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Is there a dragstrip close to you guys? Put on a pair of drag radials and go have some legal fun. You'll find all sorts of competition there and come back with all sorts of kill stories. You might even get some on video to show us the fun.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Suprapowaz!(2);1827299 said:
Is there a dragstrip close to you guys? Put on a pair of drag radials and go have some legal fun. You'll find all sorts of competition there and come back with all sorts of kill stories. You might even get some on video to show us the fun.

There is two strips I know of in Iowa that are any good. One I believe is a unprepared 1/8th, and I haven't heard anything good about it really, besides all the hondas and mustangs are there. And one is a 1/4, but it is so far away that we will have to make plans to go there. Hopefully we can get all of our cars out to both of these a few times this year tho. But roll racing is still where its at. Now where the hell are the roll racing tracks lol. You guys have the Texas mile.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
emericaskater285;1840716 said:
There is two strips I know of in Iowa that are any good. One I believe is a unprepared 1/8th, and I haven't heard anything good about it really, besides all the hondas and mustangs are there. And one is a 1/4, but it is so far away that we will have to make plans to go there. Hopefully we can get all of our cars out to both of these a few times this year tho. But roll racing is still where its at. Now where the hell are the roll racing tracks lol. You guys have the Texas mile.

There's eddyville which is a very nice 1/8 mile drag strip prepped very well. They had cars going 5 seconds last weekend at one of there shoot outs.

The other popular one is in cedarfalls it's a 1/4 mile also prep very well i've seen a low 8 second 1/4 pass put down there. I know they've gone faster.

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
So time for a couple of updates. All are done on a closed section of road.

1st: (Newgen) 2jz powered mk3, aem, 750cc inj
TA WS6 roll race mk3 won dont know by how much
FD RX7 ported roll race mk3 won vid link will follow

Turbo drag civic roll race mk3 he said it was close
There might be a roll race vs a drift setup sr20 240sx but dont know if it was a real race
I will let him give the details as I wasn't there.

2nd: me
STI mildy modded, brake boosting & me @24psi roll race no brake boost 3rd gear I let him leave and I ran past him before the end of third gear
Bike races im not counting yet as they werent official starts nor a couple races versus a t74 cobra

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
mark1987supra;1847742 said:
So time for a couple of updates. All are done on a closed section of road.

1st: (Newgen) 2jz powered mk3, aem, 750cc inj
TA WS6 roll race mk3 won dont know by how much
FD RX7 ported roll race mk3 won vid link will follow

Turbo drag civic roll race mk3 he said it was close
There might be a roll race vs a drift setup sr20 240sx but dont know if it was a real race
I will let him give the details as I wasn't there.

2nd: me
STI mildy modded, brake boosting & me @24psi roll race no brake boost 3rd gear I let him leave and I ran past him before the end of third gear
Bike races im not counting yet as they werent official starts nor a couple races versus a t74 cobra

WS6: before I was tuned beat him by couple cars. After the tune is unknown i'm sure i'll get another go at it soon.
FD Rx7: was several bus lengths as seen in video: http://s1252.photobucket.com/albums/...supravsrx7.mp4
Civic: We considered a tie. We were pretty much bumper to bumper.

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
OK so time for an update. Last night I went out to a cruise night and afterwards drove around and then meet up with a 1st gen NSX and had our buddies modified Mazdaspeed 6 with us. The Mazdaspeed 6 is quick he was on my bumper when we got onto the highway and I was only at 14 psi. So we go for a little cruise around town on the highway and next thing I know I have the NSX on one side of me and the 6 on the other. So the NSX guns it from about a 50mph roll and the 6 follows. I let them go and catch up to them turn the boost up to 18 psi and at a 4th gear roll with no brake boost the NSX would get a car off the hit and then I would just keep him there. So the next couple pulls I got them both down to a 3rd gear brake boosted start and let the NSX take the hit. he would still jump out about 1/2 a car and then i would get a fender on him before the end of 3rd. We really wouldn't see the 6 until we both let off and he went flying past.

The NSX had a carbon fiber hood, slammed on coilovers, and stock engine.
Mazdaspeed6 exhaust, intake, and don't know anything else. I was told that it was modified and that was it.

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
Long time and no updates. So we went to the track this weekend a 1/8 mi. and had some fun with a good group of cars. I know that my first 2 passes were both against Fox bodies. the first one had a supercharger and the second was na., both were on drag setups (skinney's & drag tires). I didn't launch off of the anti lag for the first couple of runs so the fox bodies jumped out by a car at least and then in my 2nd - 3rd I would walk past them and put at least a car on them. Boost @ 18 or 24 psi. I was varying it all night due to my clutch slipping, most runs were @ 18psi though. I don't remember what the rest of the cars I faced or what NewGen had. NewGen & I were matched up at the end of the night in the fastest 4 imports, I beat him but it wasn't a great race on either of our halves. He missed 2nd & I missed 3rd and coasted through the end.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
DOUBL3 D;1873401 said:
I wish I could come race with you guys for a weekend, I'm from the Quad Cities but live in St. Louis now, I love the Des Moines area though, didn't know the Mk3 scene was too big in Iowa

Feel free to come up anytime :). Theres quite a few of us running around in Des Moines. Only 3 of us come out every weekend.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Sweet!

I have a few more kills to add.

C5 frc zo6 cam intake headers exhaist tune 3.9 gears said put dpwn 430whp. Beat him by several lengths.

Raced a black fox from a dig said it ran 7.1 at the track couldnt get traction beat him by at least 5 cars

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
NewGen;1880238 said:
Raced a black fox from a dig said it ran 7.1 at the track couldnt get traction beat him by at least 5 cars
Goes to show you one of two things:
-Great race cars don't always make great street cars, or...
-Mustang owners are sometimes full of it. :p

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
te72;1880328 said:
Goes to show you one of two things:
-Great race cars don't always make great street cars, or...
-Mustang owners are sometimes full of it. :p

Agreed! The street of a hole different ball game. He may end up bringing the car back out on full slicks to race again that should be interesting. He was a really down to earth guy.