DEI High-Temp Coating

AIRICK

Apr 23, 2010
CINCINNATI
I looked around and saw that a few people were using the DEI Hi-Temp Silicone Coating. I bought some and I'm getting ready to paint my stock 7MGTE exhaust manifold, turbo inlet, and turbo elbow. It's all been sandblasted inside and out. Does anyone know if I should tape any parts of these off or should I paint the parts inside and out? Are there any other parts I should paint with this stuff? Thanks for any help!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Very welcome!

Another thing I noticed using it is if it's a warm day the spray nozzle will block a LOT.....

I had a few "spares" so kept a couple soaking in paint thinner to swap in, I found if I regulated the spray pressure by only half pressing the button it would go for much longer between clogs, one slip and bang instant clog.

AIRICK

Apr 23, 2010
CINCINNATI
Thanks for the tips IJ! I'll probably spray my shields too like the dave said too.....if I can round up a few good ones.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
LOL as an example my car has run many hours but hadn't been driven, yesterday was it's first trip out and half way through the run I had it in boost a bit so the WG Pipe and Wrap got hot, pulled over with smoke pouring out from that corner of the engine bay :aigo: it was the wrap and DEI Paint cooking :)

AIRICK

Apr 23, 2010
CINCINNATI
Wow! That's ironic timing for that to happen! Maybe I should reconsider using that stuff. I don't want my rebuild smoking, leading me to think it might be something else.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Have to say it freaked me out a bit ;)

stopped in a couple of minutes and was fine, it was just where my WG is mounted it's the coolest part of the engine bay and not having any flow through it it just hadn't got hot enough to cure, the rest smoked like a bitch when I first fired it up.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I noticed with my car, spraying the paint onto already moderately hot parts make the paint stick the best.

I sprayed the exhaust housing of the turbo while it was on the car expecting it to be rusted again within the week. Its still good a month or two later. When i sprayed it it was quite warm.

When i wrapped my manifold and sprayed the manifold cold the paint had burnt off in places. Especially on the head flange, I sprayed that part again when it was hot and it has bonded better this time around.

The turbine housing was hot enough to almost instantly dry the paint. I actually joked to myself and said "watch this catch fire as soon as it makes contact" :biglaugh:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Nosechunks;1590782 said:
I noticed with my car, spraying the paint onto already moderately hot parts make the paint stick the best.

I sprayed the exhaust housing of the turbo while it was on the car expecting it to be rusted again within the week. Its still good a month or two later. When i sprayed it it was quite warm.

When i wrapped my manifold and sprayed the manifold cold the paint had burnt off in places. Especially on the head flange, I sprayed that part again when it was hot and it has bonded better this time around.

The turbine housing was hot enough to almost instantly dry the paint. I actually joked to myself and said "watch this catch fire as soon as it makes contact" :biglaugh:

Pretty well always do a preheat on parts I paint unless it's summer here then cooling them down is in order ;)