Deceleration Smoke

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
OK, to start off, I just barely got my trans back from Marlin Crawler and got my car back together. My mods are rebuilt motor, w 7,000 miles on it running 0W-30 GC. Lex AFM, 550's, etc. Recirculated DM BOV. I am tuning with an AEM UEGO, AEM Tru-Boost and an SAFC II. The only thing I changed while I was down was the PCV system as per this thread. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100322&page=3 and I have the PCV routed as per post #23.

So, I am getting a good amount of blue/gray smoke when I let off the throttle after a WOT run at 12 psi (waiting to break in the trans before I run higher PSI). It is a good amount and starts coming out after about 2 secs off of boost. Example: WOT through 4th gear, put clutch in to slow down, and then shift into 5th. The smoke barrels out for about 5 secs or so during the time I have the clutch in. It is enough that I can see the big cloud in the distance sitting on the road as I pull away.

During idle, regular off boost cruising, and slight boost (2-5 psi) I get no deceleration smoke. The car did this a little bit before I had the trans rebuilt in May, but it now smokes a lot! I figure a little is normal as I have seen a few high power MKIII's blow out a bit of smoke on the dyno under decel.

So what could it be? My AFR's are at about 12 under WOT, and fairly lean when cruising, so I am pretty sure I am not running pig rich.
  • Do I have something routed incorrectly?
  • Is my turbo really bad, as per the thread posted below, even though there is no shaft play and it boosts great?
  • Is there some major tuning issue I am running into? I have the SAFC zeroed out for now, but could I pull fuel just when under lets say 25% throttle?

I found this thread that seemed like similar conditions as mine, however I am running a 3 year old CT-26 60 trim.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21559&highlight=smoke+off*+throttle

Thanks for any help or advice!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
MK3Supraman;1377053 said:
sounds like oil suction maybe?

WTF is "oil suction"?

Teed - did you clean the PCV orifice on the TB? Was the turbo rebuilt?

Might want to do a compression test just to rule that out.

MK3Supraman

May 28, 2009
olathe,ks
when lettin off a suction occurs in your cylinders and pulls oil through shitty rings lol

seen it in things to look for when buying a supra

but im a newb so ill shut up and stay out of help threads hahahah

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
I didn't clean out the orifice, I will defiantly do that as that was something I meant to do when I re-routed my pvc. The turbo was rebuilt, however not sure exactly by whom or when as it came on the motor that I acquired when I did my swap. But it has never had this an issue to this extent before running more boost then I am now.

I will get that orifice cleaned-out and report back.
Thanks for the replies!
Trevor