Debating the 1JZGTE swap in 87. Need some facts

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
I have been reading this forums nightly for what seems like months on end, while restoring my 87 Turbo. I am pretty much up to the point with what do I do with the aging 7MGTE. I am pretty much well versed with the 2JZ engine so I am debating putting in a 1JZGTE into the 87. (no I don't want a 2JZ)

I will need a little help in understanding the wiring aspect of the 1JZ into an 87 chassis. A few questions i have are follows:

#1 - Engine Harness being too short? Myth or not? Pics? I have read on other forums that people have used hole cutters and added a grommet into the firewall next to the throttle cable and successfully snaked the harness behind the dash to the passgr kick panel. True or False? Any links or pics of said firewall mod?

#2 - Being that my car is an 87, will the 1JZ harness (meaning 3-4 other plugs that tag along with main ECU plugs on harness) simply plug into my chassis harness box next to the ECU in kick panel? Are the plugs any different in shape and fitment on the 89 swap attempt? Is there any documentation on that particular hurdle? Perhaps a modding or repinning link with before and after wire & plug pinouts. (I have already repinned an entire toyota ECU, so I have the little sears screwdrivers and technique down) I will assume that I will keep my plugs from the 87 7MGTE chassis interface harness so if the need to repin arises I already have the plugs that fir the kick panel.

#3 - assuming I have a working ECU, igniter and OEM coil setup, the car should fire up when wired in. Are there any other electrical gremlins to keep an eye out for?

#4 - How does the AC lines hook up to the JZ Compressor if at all?

#5 - Physical parts, I will source other needed parts to mount my 1JZ into the 87 subframe from BIC and Driftmotion. I have already secured a 2JZ/W58 bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch setup. I will find an OEM or eBay (CXR) 1JZ stock twin downpipe somewhere.

#6 - Engine source: Lastly, I know that this is probably one of those "Use the search mofo, questions) I am simply looking for a complete motor swap less the tranny. meaning everything turnkey from ECU, uncut harness, igniter and all engine accessories and whatnots. Any good references on used or recommended importers that wont jerk me around or kill me with freight to NYC? Im not looking to break the bank, but I want to restore this 87 as best I can. :)

Again thanks for reading and being patient. I have tried searching but the results were just a bit to vague, Now I'm simply taking some senior members advice and throwing up a post for clarification and other misc questions. Thx.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
#1 Short Yes (TRUE)
Snaked around (TRUE) - i use this option. I had a jumper harness for the body & engine harness created by driftmotion for about 120 but that was over 3 yrs ago. Its a PITA to go thru the dash but i find it cleaner in the engine bay with out the wiring running across the bay.

#3 Assuming all the work was done properly of course.

#4 1JZ Compressor w/7M Clutch/Pulley, not too sure of other processes as i do not utilize the AC system. It has been completely removed from my car

#5 I would personally go with a R154 for leg room when wanting more power. You can source out a china/ebay one but if it does not fit properly do not be suprised.

#6 I used Driftmotion shipping was not bad either

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
#2 - The plugs on the 1jz harness to plug into the body will be totally different than the '87 body plugs. On a '90+ year car, only one plug is the same. There is documentation on the wiring, but many of the sites that have hosted it have disappeared. Hopefully this link will work for you: http://web.archive.org/web/20051227112114/www.1jz-gte.us/92Supra6.html

#4 - The 7m compressor head can be bolted to the 1jz compressor body which will make the AC system connect right up to the 7m lines. You will probably need to make adjustments to the 1jz power steering bracket for the lines to clear correctly. The wiring for the AC is also fairly straightforward.

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
I am looking through a few of those websites and reading TSRM notes and PDF's. I hope there are not many inconsistencies with the documents being that my car is an 87 and its chances for having a different wiring setup than the later 89-91's. I think I will order a few new plugs from Champion Toyota and keep them handy. I know these old brittle ones can be a pain sometimes. I'd hate to be in the middle of a swap or wiring session and then have to stop for 3-4 days waiting on UPS for rescue parts.

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
OneJArpus;1544596 said:
#1 Short Yes (TRUE)
Snaked around (TRUE) - i use this option. I had a jumper harness for the body & engine harness created by driftmotion for about 120 but that was over 3 yrs ago. Its a PITA to go thru the dash but i find it cleaner in the engine bay with out the wiring running across the bay.

I would love to see a pic of the drilled hole for comparison and location.

Also... I reached outto Driftmotion for some engine inquiries.

TripleC

Dec 2, 2009
FO CO
New%20Stern's%20018.jpg

158394d1259610989-traded-my-gs300-new-supra-pics.jpg

Here is a couple picture of my engine bay - sorry for the bad quality pics

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
#1 - Engine Harness being too short? Myth or not? Pics? I have read on other forums that people have used hole cutters and added a grommet into the firewall next to the throttle cable and successfully snaked the harness behind the dash to the passgr kick panel. True or False? Any links or pics of said firewall mod?

True: I did extended the harness too, to reach where I needed the plugs to go. I put the ECU where the radio goes. I like the engine bay idea though after doing it this way I was not to happy. It does work flawlessly though I assure you that.

#2 - Being that my car is an 87, will the 1JZ harness (meaning 3-4 other plugs that tag along with main ECU plugs on harness) simply plug into my chassis harness box next to the ECU in kick panel? Are the plugs any different in shape and fitment on the 89 swap attempt? Is there any documentation on that particular hurdle? Perhaps a modding or repinning link with before and after wire & plug pinouts. (I have already repinned an entire toyota ECU, so I have the little sears screwdrivers and technique down) I will assume that I will keep my plugs from the 87 7MGTE chassis interface harness so if the need to repin arises I already have the plugs that fir the kick panel.

The only things you have to wire in on your '87 is the fuse box plugs, the horn plug on the firewall, the heater control valve, alternator wires ( has to be run under the core support ) I used 2 gauge wire, and 3 plugs int he dash, B1, M1, B3,: M1 supplies most cluster signals, B1 does fuel pump, ignition mostly, and B3 is for your ABS, 3 wires, all the grounds, like ECU ground and ground from the B1 and harness I ran to different locations on the chassis.

#3 - assuming I have a working ECU, igniter and OEM coil setup, the car should fire up when wired in. Are there any other electrical gremlins to keep an eye out for?

It should start right up

#4 - How does the AC lines hook up to the JZ Compressor if at all?

People have made the JZ A/C Compressor work on there car, from what I remember you can make it work with the liens if they're un-cut, or you can use the 7M A/C lines.

#5 - Physical parts, I will source other needed parts to mount my 1JZ into the 87 subframe from BIC and Driftmotion. I have already secured a 2JZ/W58 bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch setup. I will find an OEM or eBay (CXR) 1JZ stock twin downpipe somewhere.

I had to get JZ mounts, and power steering braided line from driftmotion if you want to retain power steering, driveshaft.

#6 - Engine source: Lastly, I know that this is probably one of those "Use the search mofo, questions) I am simply looking for a complete motor swap less the tranny. meaning everything turnkey from ECU, uncut harness, igniter and all engine accessories and whatnots. Any good references on used or recommended importers that wont jerk me around or kill me with freight to NYC? Im not looking to break the bank, but I want to restore this 87 as best I can. Click here to enlarge

I used
japanpowerinc ( 82 ) 100%

I got a jza70 1jz-gte motor r1-54 ignitor Map sensor, uncut harness, uncut fuel lines, round fluid filled motor mounts 2300.00 shipped If I were you I would get a complete swap. Most companies do not sell JZA70 motors just he motor harness ECU, because they're worth much more as a complete swap. If You sell the r154 the bell housing the flywheel that gets your money back alone well over 1100.00 there. If I wer you I woudl do with a R-154 anyday over a W58 with a 1JZ anyhow.

Hope that info helps you. If you need any help with wiring just let me know.

Again thanks for reading and being patient. I have tried searching but the results were just a bit to vague, Now I'm simply taking some senior members advice and throwing up a post for clarification and other misc questions. Thx.

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
Thanks... I just have to source a clean motorset now. I appreciate all the help. I read the Soarer to Supra Wiring, seems pretty straight forward color matching. IS ther a JDM supra to USDM supra wiring diagram I will have to assume a JDM Supra harness does not have the same plugs as my USDM 87 Supra.

I do appreciate the replies. by all means I am a hands on home tuner armed with Toyota Factory manuals.

GTE.jpg

2JZGTE complete rebuild from block up.

supratt2.jpg

pulled out the factory 2JZGE/W58 dropped in the 2JZGTE/V160

supratt.jpg

Pipe routing...

10730_272804780653_782295653_8953143_1105636_n.jpg

Finally all cleaned up and finalized....... I dont even recognize the old pics anymore.

I want the 87 to turn out just like this guy... I just need a little expertise guidance from the guru's on this board!

Last edited:

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
Tried doing a search..... couldnt find any related articles. Where is the 1JZGTE MAP Sensor located on the motor? I know on the 2JZGTE its bolted right to the inside of intake manifold (typically on intake mani plenum, between injector #4 & #5)

1jzMoe

Supramania Contributor
Apr 2, 2005
Vilseck, Germany, Germany
For the wiring just read the stickies in the top of the other engine tech section. the Map sensor is not located on the motor, it is located on the firewall by the brake booster.

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
I wonder if I can use the 2JZ Map Sensor? I think all you would have to do is match up the 3 pinouts from the harness to the correct plastic plug.

1jzMoe

Supramania Contributor
Apr 2, 2005
Vilseck, Germany, Germany
You can use the 2jz Map Sensor, it will plug right in. If you do go with the 2jz map sensor you wont have to retune your car, my 1jz had the same air-fuel ratios with the 1jz and the 2jz map sensor and nothing had to be changed