dead tps = running rich at idle? (please answer my theory)

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
Well im STILL trying to figure out why I am running rich at idle

Today I tested my tps with an ohm even though it was saying i was at .5V through my safcII, with the plug off the tps, the voltage went up to 1.5

While using an ohm meter, its like the tps gave me no readings at all. Nothing changed except when i did wot test. Even then the numbers werent in spec.

When I have the car running with it plugged in, the car idles at 1k. With it unplugged, the car still idles at 1k, there is no change.

This leads me to my theory. Would the tps send a signal to the ecu saying its at wot even though my idle is decent and causing the richness at idle. Or if the tps is sending a wot single, wouldnt my rpms rise? The car idles at 11.8-12.5 usually. However, when cruising at 10% throttle or more its a nice 14.7 a/f ratio.

So do you think the tps is shot or what could be causing this?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Your RPM is dependent on how much air is getting into the engine, not what your TPS reports. So this is unlikely to affect your RPMs.

However, it is likely to affect a bunch of other stuff, so get it fixed! If it fails the tests in the TSRM, it's shot. I would suggest assuming that you've doing the pins wrong and testing them as though pin 1 is the top AND then redoing the tests as though it's the bottom, I've seen LOTS of people mess up the pin order... if it fails both ways, it's absolutely toast. :)