Dead 7M decision time...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My car is running a standalone HKS FCON Vpro (data being pulled today to see if anything shows up as being wrong), so was tuned for the car.

I am running stock fuel rail and originally was wondering if the fuel was getting starved at 5-6 just die to rail size, but with a 288 lph fuel pump pushing fuel and only being at 385-400 rwhp at 14 psi, didn't think it would be an issue.

Another thought is to be safe I would have to run some race fuel just to make sure my octane levels were high enough because if the Vpro has to account for knock due to bad fuel, the temps are going to rise in the head, and it already has a heat issue by design. In retrospect I had no gauge to watch cylinder temps (especially on 6).

If I stay 7m I will be adding a monitor for that as well as exhaust temp (which I don't have).

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I'll bet its knock sensor is not nearly as good as the one in the stock ecu. A typical ecu project for a production engine family is a multi-million dollar effort. GM spent $500M on a powertrain test facility alone.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well the problem is, we are limited to what's available and reasonable. To run a 7m above 350 rwhp (perfectly fine on 550's/Lexus AFM if you don't mind wasting a ton of fuel protecting the engine), ideally you should run a very high octane to prevent the timing advance from creating heat issues in the head. But that's also fairly expensive... And it everyone has access to e85. I think I can get a drum but it works out to about 8 bucks a gallon..

Lots of high power 7ms running with no issues, but the chatter about them has really died out in the past two years. Not an easy engine to find anymore either.