dbsupra GM transmission swap

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
thanks jay

joliroger4;1140976 said:
You know you can make that quicksilver look like a factory 5 speed with a little work:

http://www2.davidconsentino.com:8000/supra/Grey Car TH350/DSC01064.JPG

thats pretty slick dave!

yb-

you can use a mid-late 90's camry speedo cable. you put it in a vice and make the tranny side square and it fits right in.

there is a company that also makes an adapter or something too. i'll see if i can dig that up. also, if you want the abs to work you have to use a dakota digital simulator.

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
good info db,

i will switch out my autometer one day and try the camry or custom. whichever is in budget or easier/better. And for the ABS. I have no idea what your talking about. How would this affect it. And I had no idea, damn. I guess the wheel sensors gather readings from the speedometer? I will try to look more into that device. ???

Excuse me for being dumb at abs systems. I learn as i go along.
and I've read the description here and has no mention of abs.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/prd126.htm

Last edited:

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
wow dave long time... crazy crap you are doing... I'm just wondering why you want TH400?

There is a guy locallty that was doing low 11's high 10's on a a304E in his mk3. Aperently the trans has lasted over 2 seasons and it was tracked nearly every week!

How fast are you planning to go?

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
yb-

the wheel sensors wont be an issue, that is unchanged. but we also use a rear speed sensor off the back of the trans, which will be missing. there are signals for the abs that run thru the ect ecu, which will be missing. i dont know all the details on it since i dont have abs on the car.

zazzn! yeah has been long time. i had a full built 340. and yes, i plan on going faster than that :evil2: i decided on the gm trans for several reasons. such as ability to use a transbrake, better gearing, stronger, and upgrade/rebuild parts are much cheaper.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
anybody considered a gm 6spd? i know it is off from what you are trying to do as you are drag racing, but id love a 6spd in my car, mated to the 7m

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
dbsupra90;1145657 said:
yb-

the wheel sensors wont be an issue, that is unchanged. but we also use a rear speed sensor off the back of the trans, which will be missing. there are signals for the abs that run thru the ect ecu, which will be missing. i dont know all the details on it since i dont have abs on the car.

maybe I should just take it out. Not sure if I'll ever be driving it in the rain. lol:icon_bigg

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
wow already a month gone by and not much progress. been super busy at work.

did finally get a 350 (thanks josh). it has the b&m upgrade package, new steels and new seals. looking at maybe upgrading to a bigger oil pan for extra capacity and better cooling. something like this:

tfs-1000_w.jpg

supraman has the motor out of the 88t he bought. plan on doing some mock up and final fitment/trimming this weekend and get it ready to bolt in.

hopefully some real progress this weekend!

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
whats up mo!

made a little more progress! trimmed the peak off the bh and it will clear now. just need to widen it up a bit and she'll be ready to bolt on to the plate.

waiting for my bigger alum oil pan and transbrake stuff to arrive.

bryan- when you bolted yours up did you use the black spacer plate between the block and adapter plate? looks like i may need to, the input shaft seems close on the crank. it's hard to tell without being able to fully bolt it on.

pics hopefully to come soon...

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Dave,

Never used a spacer between the block and plate. The only spacer I needed was the ~1/8" spacer between the crank and flywheel.

Keep us updated w/ pics :)

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
time flies. been real busy with work and other stuff lately, but finally some pics to share!

here is a good pic of the plate on the spare motor i've been using to mock up. you can see how close the heater pipe really is.

supra&

here is where i notched the bellhousing for clearance. all it needed was about 7/8", but i went ahead and notched it a full inch. next step is to weld in some alum flat stock or maybe box stock to help add some strength. don't think it is required, but it def wouldn't hurt.

before pic:

th350_transmission.jpg

after notching:

sm_bh_notch_backside.jpg

sm_bh_notch_top.jpg

yep, i wasn't paying attention and walked right thru trans fluid lol

sm_bh_notch_front.jpg

next steps are installing the new valve body and solenoid. after that, i will be ready to bolt it in!

hopefully updates will come quicker from now on...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'm going to need a price for my installation Dave, but don't forget my good ol boy discount. Can we do it in a weekend if I drive my five speed up, and hopefully drive my automatic home?

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
suprahero;1203558 said:
I'm going to need a price for my installation Dave, but don't forget my good ol boy discount. Can we do it in a weekend if I drive my five speed up, bring Vonda to cook for you and your son and hopefully drive my automatic home?

possible!

but really? i didn't know you were interested in the swap. i thought you came in here for moral support lol.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Moral support is really all I can offer you.......unless you're wanting to put a mighty 1jz in your car, and then I can help............:biglaugh:

If I can find a way around the rpm problem then I definately want a th350. I'm on a local board with lots of mustangs, ta's, camaro's and whatever. They don't make more power than me, but they only race from a dead stop and my car spins a lot. I thought about putting the auto in there and beating some domestic ass. If you get a chance sometime, figure out what it would cost me. I can get the adapter plate from Sean, unless you want to get it. Let me know how much it will cost and I'll see what I can do.

I know Jawsgear sells a 3.51 differential, so that would help on the rpms some, but I like to drive at around eighty. I don't want to be doing four thousand rpm everywhere I go if I can find a way around it. I may just have to drive slower.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
yeah i hear ya. i may eventually swap to a different gear for a little lower rpm. i want to keep it as is for right now (3.73). there is a company that makes gears in the 3.11-5.xx for our diff. i may do the gears in a spare diff, that way i can swap back and forth if i choose to.

after i get mine going (and the weather is warmer) we can talk about some plans if you are still interested.

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
I run my car with a 3.91 and it's a little on the tall side, it turned on the shift light about 100 ft before the traps. I think a 3.73 would be perfect on a about a 600-650 whp 26" tire car for the 1/4 and would also be good since you can run the 3.73 for lower cruise rpm. That's the beauty of these cars. If you need to run a tall gear to get the car to trap right, you are just underpowered for your weight/tire size. Make more power and you can keep your nice streetable low gear which is no problem with a supra as compared to other cars. You can forget about doing 80. My car is at 3600rpm going 70.

I bet an SP kit could be done in a weekend since it should fit your car relatively easy as long as you had a driveshaft prepped along with the other components.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i was more concerned about cruise rpm. well, not THAT concerned or i wouldn't have gone 3sp trans lol. i do still drive it to several supra meets along with weekend cruising. weekend cruising is mainly around town, so that's no big deal. but i do go to supra events that are anywhere from 200-600 mile round trip. it would be nice to have a higher gear so i'm not running 4k+ rpm the whole trip.

i'm not concerned so much with traps, i think that will be fine. just looking at options to see if i can find a happy medium of cruise vs drag racing. or, have a diff set of gears in each rear end. that would kind of be a pita i think to swap back and forth, albeit only a couple times a year.

also, i'm running a 27" tire, but currently mid 500rw range. after i swap to an ems i'll also swap to the bigger turbo and turn ~7200 rpm.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
The different rear end's wouldn't be a bad idea Dave. I know I've changed mine out in thirty minutes on the dot before and that included jacking the car up. I put my 3.73's in this past weekend because the 3.91 shot it's wad. It took me about fourty minutes this time, but I wasn't really in a hurry.

How do you think the car would run with the 3.11 gears? Will that effect the turbo spool too much? Just curious.

Try and keep up with as much info as possible with yours so we don't have to do a lot of researching if I decide to do mine. Thanks.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Well I'll be, Dave B still lives!

I apologize for calling BS on never working on your car anymore... :biglaugh:
You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

3.11 would be one hell of a highway machine.....but I'm honestly not sure how streetable a gear that tall will effect "around town" boost/spool with a medium frame+ sized turbo.
I can't imagine it'd be too bad, though...
Maybe a bit of happy gas to get going down low for you, Jay? ;)

Jeff